Wine Country Ukulele Festival: recommendations for workshops?

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I also have this posted within a different thread, but I thought I might get better responses if it were posted on its own. Anyhow, I'm a beginner that can make most chords (I can play the dreaded "E" chord) and strum along with songs, but I'm an extreme novice at playing notes/melody (just started lessons to remedy this). I was wondering if there are UU'ers familiar with the workshops and if you could recommend which ones to attend. I've taken the Jim D'Ville, playukulelebyear workshop and really enjoyed it. Thank you in advance for your time and always helpful replies.

-Gary

Just have a look at the levels that the workshops are pitched at and pick the ones that sound interesting to you. If I were in your position, I would definitely look at the Introduction to Bluegrass class and maybe Lil Rev's Essential Strums. there are lots of others though. Don't pick anything that is going to be too difficult for you though.

I haven't been to these particular workshops but based on your description of your current skills it should be pretty easy to choose if you pick your classes from the All Levels, Level 1 and Level 2 classes listed here: http://winecountryukefest.com/workshops-2010.

I'm about the same level as you and the classes I'm are taking Intro to Bluegrass, Very Very Sad Music, Intro to Fingerpicking, Breaking out of the Strumming Rut, and Basic Bluegrass. My partner is taking basically the same classes except she's taking Ukulele Ergonomics and 3-chord Club: Beatles instead of a couple I'm taking. Maybe we'll be in some workshops together! See you there - Mary

@ Ken - Thank you for the suggestions. I'm a big fan of yours and relied heavily on your reviews when I chose my first ukulele (I went with the Kala KA-STg).

@ marymac - I've already attended a Jim D'Ville playukulelebyear workshop and really liked it. If I get the Sunday workshop pass I'll probably take the 3-chord club: Beatles as well. I'm still trying to decide how many workshops I want to attend versus walking around and checking things out, but I'm sure I'll see you in at least one. Maybe I'll put a big UU on the wristband/name badge to identify myself :)

Top Bottom