Fingers and picking

UkeCanDoIt!

Reaction score
I was wondering.... I've seen video of the "3 finger roll" where you use the thumb, index finger and middle finger as the picking fingers... Is the 3 finger roll just one of many techniques to do the same thing? I believe I saw another person who picked using just the index, middle and ring fingers. I know that playing is adaptive to each individual due to various reasons, but I'm curious if there is a standard picking technique that is widely used?

I know that the "right way" to do something is whatever works best you for the individual. However, I was asking because I'd like to know what the proper technique is before I decide what my "right way" is. :)

Wait, I'm a little confused. 3-finger roll is a strumming technique--not a picking technique.

Anyway, 3-finger rolls and 3-finger tremolos use the same fingers for "proper technique."

If Jake Shimabukuro is considered "proper technique," he uses thumb, index, and middle fingers to do 3-finger tremolos.

Last edited:
I think in the context of fingerpicking, the rolls referred to are the pattern of fingers to strings.

Think banjo

Three fingers, four strings and hitting them going forward and back and every combination in between.

The best pattern is the one that fits the song and that'll be player's choice. (and practice different patterns or you'll end up like me playing the same one for nearly everything...)

thumb, index and middle fingers seem most natural, but whatever works... (I mean, I've seen Robyn Hitchcock umpteen times and I'm still confounded at how he plays guitar solos with mostly his middle, ring & pinky fingers (all while blinking constantly and wearing one of about four or five different shirts for concerts... ). He never seems to use his index much solos. I find it quite unfathomable...)

I mainly just finger pick since I picked up the uke after a few months of classical guitar lessons. I use my thumb, 1', 2', and 3' fingers- assigning one per string. But, if there is more than two consecutive notes on the same string, I alternate with the finger assigned to the string above. So if the notes were (on the a string) a c b I'd use 3' 2' 3'.

But, I do find myself mixing that pattern up a bit from time to time.

I am confused also :confused:
but yeah when I pick i assign my fingers to certain strings too :D haha
we the F.A.K. Finger Assigning Klan......
..... wow it's 4:00 in the morning and i'm on UU

I think I might be weird 8|

Top Bottom