Best new uke for under 400$?

Ataraxia

Reaction score
I'm just curious what everyone's opinion on this is. I know that there are tons of Mainland fans out there, and they do seem to put out a pretty solid instrument. What's everyone's favorite pick for tone/quality?

There are plenty of good quality, Hawaiian-made instruments in the 600+ range, so let's stay under 400$ here. I personally think the new Pono builds are pretty nice.

Last edited:
Solid acacia is a great uke for that class and price range....I am only selling mine because I'm getting a K model to replace ($600)

What size? type of wood, etc, There are many threads and I probably asked a similar question in the past. LOL

If it's a soprano, you can find lots for $400, if it's a tenor, not so much

The sleeper uke in this category is gonna be the Islander line from Kanile'a. Solid Mahogany ukes for under 300 bucks with Kanile'a specs (laminate models available as well at a much lower price). Problem is, no one has had a chance to actually play with one much yet. Mine shows up in two days....(I hope).

The Islanders certainly do look like a good deal for what they offer. I'm not crazy about the headstock decal, but they seem to sound pretty nice.

I'd say a used "K-brand" (possible if you're talking soprano). Barring that, my next choice would be a Mainland (I own three)...or a Kala solid wood set up by somebody who knows what they're doing (I owned one and set it up myself)...or an Ohana solid set up by somebody who knows what they're doing (based strictly on reputation, I haven't owned one).

There are other options in this price range but I don't have experience with them and reputations seem to be "mixed."

John

Top Bottom