Starting Over Again........

Opa John

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself. I've just recently gotten back into ukulele playing after not even having one to play for about 30 years. I bought a very economical (read "cheap") Makala baritone a few months ago at Sam Ash Music in a moment of weakness. I've been having a ball with it. (See avatar)

I'm a long time guitar, fiddle and mandolin player and I've discovered that I can do a lot of finger style playing on the uke that I could never do before. Never even tried it, actually. The baritone voicing also seems to fit my voice better than any of the other sizes of ukes would. Of course, I also picked up a decent banjo capo to snap on it at various locations on the fret board when the mood strikes me. :D

I'm really enjoying the uke a lot more than I thought I would. Hope I continue to enjoy it and hope to spend some time on this forum with you people too. Cheers....Opa John.....

Well welcome back to ukes. Lots of new baritone players here.....they seem to be catching on some, especially with guitar players getting into uke. Some really great deals pass through our Marketplace.

Hey opa John
welcome back - baritone, interesting choice for a comeback.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've just recently gotten back into ukulele playing after not even having one to play for about 30 years. I bought a very economical (read "cheap") Makala baritone a few months ago at Sam Ash Music in a moment of weakness. I've been having a ball with it. (See avatar)

I'm a long time guitar, fiddle and mandolin player and I've discovered that I can do a lot of finger style playing on the uke that I could never do before. Never even tried it, actually. The baritone voicing also seems to fit my voice better than any of the other sizes of ukes would. Of course, I also picked up a decent banjo capo to snap on it at various locations on the fret board when the mood strikes me. :D

I'm really enjoying the uke a lot more than I thought I would. Hope I continue to enjoy it and hope to spend some time on this forum with you people too. Cheers....Opa John.....

Welcome to the board, Opa John. Mickey here (Masterbuilt on HCAGF).
Enjoy.

Welcome to the UU. Welcome back to the uke - glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Welcome to the board, Opa John. Mickey here (Masterbuilt on HCAGF).
Enjoy.

Thanks for the "welcome", Mickey. You mentioned this forum over at HC so I figured I'd better come over and check it out. It's been kinda dead at HC lately.

I'm getting the feeling that baritone ukes aren't too popular here. Or, anywhere else for that matter. I'm still lovin' mine, but also still looking for a nice tenor. Actually, I had one ordered back in November from MF, but it was on back order and they couldn't get it to me before sometime in January, so I cancelled the order. Might start looking for another one real soon.

Thanks for the "welcome", Mickey. You mentioned this forum over at HC so I figured I'd better come over and check it out. It's been kinda dead at HC lately.

I'm getting the feeling that baritone ukes aren't too popular here. Or, anywhere else for that matter. I'm still lovin' mine, but also still looking for a nice tenor. Actually, I had one ordered back in November from MF, but it was on back order and they couldn't get it to me before sometime in January, so I cancelled the order. Might start looking for another one real soon.

In the way of solid-wood tenor ukes, Ohana and Mainland both have a nice assortment. Solid mahogany, mahogany with a cedar top, mahogany with a spruce top. Here are a couple of links...

http://www.ohana-music.com/
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

Elderly stocks Ohana Ukes.

Sam Ash has Kala Ukes among others. Might be worth the trip to Morse Road.

Mickey

I don't know....I think Bari's may not be as popular as the three other main sizes but they seem to have a pretty good following. I know many of us here have at least one of each size. I have two Bari's, one in the regular tuning and one in low g. I really like the Bari voice for some things. Congrats on your Makala, we have several in the family and I think they are hard to beat for the money.

Top Bottom