Moore Bettah Ukulele Owners,....How Far Would YOU Go To Play a New Arrival???

joejeweler

Reaction score
My new Moore Bettah 5-A Koa Soprano arrived today about 11:40 am, and i checked it all out and tuned it up, but you know how that is with new strings starting from scratch. Chuck shipped it the safer way, just enough tension to keep the strings in place, but tightened like a rubber band might feel.

Anyway, i was involved with my patent project and was committed to getting a packet out Express Mail later in the day,....but i still had a lot of drawings to get finished. I kept going back to the uke every half hour or so to get them stabilized, then back to the drawing.

The Martin M600 strings would take awhile to get there anyway, and i finally finished the drawings about 4:00pm.
A quick trip to "Staples" to get some photocopies of my work, and off to the Post Office i went to get the packet
mailed out.

About this time i realized i hadn't eaten anything all day, and my gut was not happy! :drool:

I went to get a fish fry and wolfed that down so i could get back and "say hello to my little friend"!

Not sure if this one finger is jinxed or just unlucky,.....but the same index finger i injured 39 years ago at age 16 had another close encounter of the "unforgiving" kind!

Back then i caught it between my motorcycle chain and front sprocket and lost about 3/8" of the tip. This time i had just finished my only meal of the day, and was anxious to get right home and play a few tunes on my new uke,....
.....so i could play Moore Bettah"!

That was not to be, however. On the way home a bit of sun got in my eyes, and i went to pull down the sun visor.
I had forgotten about the folding (and razor sharp) pocket knife my son had given me several months ago as a gift.
It was closed, but as i dropped the visor it surprised me when it started to fall. Natural reaction took over and i
reached up to catch it, only to have it snag a bit on the side clip, maybe.

Somehow the knife opened up just enough for my finger to catch in between the super sharp edge, and the inner
part of the handle. Just enough tension was on the knife wanting to close that it started to dig in, and THEN the hurt reflex kicked in automatically and i instinctively pulled back,....doing even more serious damage!

Damn,.....to do this on a day of a uke masterpiece arriving was irratating, but to not play some beautiful music together on our wedding night would be,....well,.....NOT GONNA HAPPEN! lol

Today i got a physics reminder,... that 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Fingertips, when matched to sharp knife edges, will always come out the loser,....trust me on that one! Sorta like "Never bring a knife to a gunfight", except i'll add better to just leave the knife at home!!

Anyway, i stopped on the way home at a Rite-Aide and picked up some alcohol (not the good kind), some band aids,
a sort of outer elastic sleeve to put a little pressure on the cut when i got it closed,...and a new bottle of Krazy-Glue with a brush style applicator to seal the gash. (had a few napkins pressed over the wound with pressure
applied from my thumb.)

I got home and cleaned up the hand, and then applied some more hurt when i poured some rubbing alcohol into the deep gash. Truthfully, most of you would have gone to the emergency room and gotten about 8 to 10 stitches. But i've found in the past that a clean batch of super or krazy glue works really well at keeping a cut closed to speed healing. They already know that in the medical field, where they use a grade of the same material.

After i dried off the alcohol, i closed up the cut with a sterile piece of medical gause to get it dry and stop the bleeding just long enough to paint on a generous helping of the krazy glue. The glue seals the wound, and also bonds the actual skin together. We've all done that by accident anyway,......here it was a planned proceedure!

Three band-aids came next, applying just a touch of tension to work at keeping the cut together, and then i applied
a elastic finger wrap to finish the job.

Good to go now! BTW,...life is lived best when you take what comes, and always try to see the bright side of the matter.

Bright side you ask???? Well, it COULD have been a finger i actually use a lot,.....like my thumb or middle finger!
(the old "when life hands you a lemon, ........you make lemonaide" !)

How'd it turn out?? I'll let you be the judge with the pics below:

DSC03077small.jpg

DSC03075small.jpg

DSC03081small.jpg

Last edited:
Which brings me to an advertizing slogan,....(Like he needs to advertize!)

"Moore Bettah Ukes,......A Cut Above The Rest!"
:smileybounce:

Last edited:
Whoa, that is a pretty bad cut there, Joe! But... I'd have to say I'd probably go as far as you would to play the `ukulele, especially since the beaut just got in today! Congrats on the `uke, sorry about the finger, but you look happy playing it man!

Whoa, that is a pretty bad cut there, Joe! But... I'd have to say I'd probably go as far as you would to play the `ukulele, especially since the beaut just got in today! Congrats on the `uke, sorry about the finger, but you look happy playing it man!

Thanks man,....it looks better closed up now though. The graphic pic shows it a bit separated, but NOT like what i
could have shown! It opened up about a 3/8" deep flap X about 1/4" thick.

I'm "slab" cut if you will,.....not sure if i'm quarter sawn though. :D

Last edited:
As I've said before, Chuck's ukes are so beautiful that it hurts!

"HURTS" .......Good One! :D

But it hurts a LOT less snuggling up to this:

(anybody know who sells flood,....er i mean,....."Drool Insurance"?)

DSC03058small.jpg

I'm glad your natural instincts took over and you only hurt your finger...who knows where it would have dropped?

I'm glad your natural instincts took over and you only hurt your finger...who knows where it would have dropped?

Hehe,....might have gone right from a rooster to a hen! :D

My finger feels better now,....took one for the team!

Sorry about the cut. Probably shouldn't play that ukulele ever again - too much of a chance of permanent nerve damage. I'll take the uke off your hands.

Nerve damage least of my worries,...on a finger that i don't use much anyway for playing. (for obvious reasons)

But you're first on the list! :music:

Last edited:
Pretty sure that uke came with a matte finish..You made it glossy?

Sorry to hear about the cut! Gonna take some time to heal! And enjoy the MB! (Now i'm getting more and more jealous :mad: )

Pretty sure that uke came with a matte finish..You made it glossy?

Sorry to hear about the cut! Gonna take some time to heal! And enjoy the MB! (Now i'm getting more and more jealous :mad: )

Pretty sure Chuck puts a "spit shine" on them! :D

......no matte finish here.

That is one gorgeous Ukulele! Sorry to hear about the injury, but glad you can still play! Enjoy :D

I've used crazy glue in the past to temporarily patch up finger issues before gigs, and I think that playing that beauty is probably worth the trouble too. Any chance of a sound sample?

I've used crazy glue in the past to temporarily patch up finger issues before gigs, and I think that playing that beauty is probably worth the trouble too. Any chance of a sound sample?

I'd like to,....just haven't figured out the process on my laptop. Somewhere around the house i have a decent condenser
microphone,....gotta look for it and get it hooked into the mix.

Never posted on youtube yet, for the same reason. I'm a bit behind the crowd of tech-ies here! :D

Gotta find a tutorial somewhere..........

Just caught up with this story!

Hope you managed to find some recoup time with that great uke of yours and all is finalloy well with you!

Part of me feels like saying congratulations but it wouldn't be entirely appropriate.

One of the most bgizzare uke collection stories I have read on here...

Chris

I took a day off work so as not to miss the delivery. So, I was willing to lose money. It was so worth it. Luckily it was delivered before 11 a.m. so I didn't totally wear out the carpet. My mailman thought I was nuts, but what does he know? (He was the one who told me when special deliveries are made.)

Top Bottom