Low Cost HD Video Camera

chindog

Reaction score
Since I'm a technological luddite, I'm lucky to have a phone that takes photos, let alone a video. I've got a relatively recent vintage non-HD vid camera, but when I was playing back the recording of me playing the uke, the one thing I noticed other than the bad performance, was the horrible quality of the video when viewed on my HD tv.

So, what would be a good HD video camera that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Preferably less than an arm. Maybe $150ish. And what is the deal with the 720 vs 1080? My TV is rather big, so would I need to look for a 1080 model? I'm not going to be making a Star Wars sequel, but would like videos of me playing the uke to not look like I filmed them through bubble wrap.

I recently purchased a Flip Ultra HD on eBay for $99 shipped. It's the newest generation, although I guess it doesn't matter now that the company won't be producing it anymore. I think it does a great job for the price and it's simple to use. The last two videos I put up on my you tube channel were made with this camera. Check it out if you get a chance.

I have used FLIP HD's extensively with my classes (I am a teacher) and they are great- easy to figure out, intuitive software to cut your teeth, and well, a nine year old can work one with no instruction.
I put one on the table to see if a friend would bit the other day. He has never used any camera other than a disposable one from Long's. He picked it up and started filming his 2 year old daughter instantly...and I sent it home with him. I say this because it sounds like you may want to stay lo-tech for a while.
The new ones have HDMI outputs (plug right into your HD TV) and here is the best part- because Cisco is discontinuing them, they are $48...very nice compared to the $199 I spent on my first ones.

Kodak Zi8 is a good choice with cheap price, and you could put an little stereo mic on it. (for me, it's make a better sound compared at Flips cams). It's a push and play also.

I just got a Canon camera that can shoot HD video for $180, and it wasn't the bottom of their line, so you can probably find something for $150. I've only had it a few days, but my first impression is that the sound is much improved from my previous camera. It has two different options for HD, 1280 or something like 1940, so when you process the video you're actually reducing the picture quality a little to get it to fit your 1080 screen.

I got a Creative Vade HD for Christmas, it was £40 from Amazon, reduced from £150 so it was a real bargain and I love it! Takes great videos, I suggest investing in a stand which was like £2 from Amazon..hope that helps!

I just got the Kodak Zi8, got it for just over $100.... it's pretty bare bones, and like the Flip it works best from a tripod (ie not moving it around too much) but the sound quality isn't to bad and in does 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60fps - which looks pretty good.

Kodak Zi8 is a good choice with cheap price, and you could put an little stereo mic on it. (for me, it's make a better sound compared at Flips cams). It's a push and play also.

I am with fabioponta... My kodak zi8 is wonderful (also called Playsport) I have gotten so many compliments on the sound, the mic is great...

The Creative Vade looks pretty good. The Kodak ZI8 I couldn't find for less than about $240. Several places advertised it for about $150, but they were all out of stock, or refurbs. I did find the Playsport, but it looks like a different camera. I'm now hoping to find one with a microphone input, so I can use a good microphone for better sound quality. I'll be looking around at them in person at brick and mortar stores this weekend. Thanks for everyone's help! You have definitely given me a lot of help in choosing the right one.

I am with fabioponta... My kodak zi8 is wonderful (also called Playsport) I have gotten so many compliments on the sound, the mic is great...

I also have the playsport its very good and waterproof so you can play your ukulele underwater if you so wish

The flip has a nice battery life. Should be able to get one at Buy.com or somewhere on clearance. Casio Exlim are also nice cameras, good battery life. Both have decent mic. Not as nice as a field recorder but OK.

Ok, I'm going to throw something else into the mix. I've got some decent microphones, with xlr type connections. Would it be good to get a converter to go from xlr to 1/8" audio input on the camera? Or should the microphones and video go to some sort of mixer, then into the PC?

I have a Zoom H2 field recorder I plug the Line in on the H2to the Phones out on a Behringer Mixer on this battery powered portable set-up I use on the street. We use two Nady SPC-15 condenser mics.

I video record everything on a Flip or Casio Exlim. I then process the H2 file in Audacity.(its free) and save it as a wav. Load the video into Pinnacle Studio HD pull in in the wav file and get them in sync. I then turn off the sound from the video camera and save it as a window media file. Sounds is great.

If you are going to record in a controlled environment you can record directly to the PC from you mics. Unless you have a USB mic you will need to go to the line in on the sound board. A inexpensive mixer will make that a lot easier. Here is one on sale http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-xenyx-802-mixer/631263000000000 just need a patch cable 2 1/4 mono to 1 1/8 stereo.

I have a Zoom H2 field recorder I plug the Line in on the H2to the Phones out on a Behringer Mixer on this battery powered portable set-up I use on the street. We use two Nady SPC-15 condenser mics.

I video record everything on a Flip or Casio Exlim. I then process the H2 file in Audacity.(its free) and save it as a wav. Load the video into Pinnacle Studio HD pull in in the wav file and get them in sync. I then turn off the sound from the video camera and save it as a window media file. Sounds is great.

This looks like the hard part.

If you are going to record in a controlled environment you can record directly to the PC from you mics. Unless you have a USB mic you will need to go to the line in on the sound board. A inexpensive mixer will make that a lot easier. Here is one on sale http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-xenyx-802-mixer/631263000000000 just need a patch cable 2 1/4 mono to 1 1/8 stereo.

I've got an old Tascam 8 track cassette tape recorder. I am thinking maybe it could be used as a mixer. I forget what the output on it is, but I think either RCA jacks, or 1/4" mono. The inputs are 1/4" mono and xlr.

I'm another Kodak Zi8 user.

The external mic socket is very handy. Also, video format is .MOV which is easier to work with than some of the other HD formats. Spare batteries are VERY cheap and SDHC card means capacity upgrades are simple. I also bought a little wide angle lens for mine which is a brilliant accessory.

I've been looking around, and the Zi8 is apparently discontinued. Kodak has replaced it with the Zi10, and they have apparently screwed up by downgrading the video quality. The Zi8 had a street price of about $180 or less, and now that it is no longer available, any leftover stock is priced at $250 or higher.

The Zi10, marketed as the "Play touch", has the same 1080p and external mic input features as the Zi8, but from the reviews, it has a much worse video quality. The street price on the Zi10 is about $179, although Wal Mart sells it for $159, and Amazon has it for $126. From the reviews I have seen, the Zi10 doesn't handle audio from the external mic very well. The one review that mentioned recording music videos said that the Zi10 was not able to handle the input from a mixer through the external mic input.

So, I'm still looking for an HD vid cam that will record at 1080p, and has an external mic input. For less than an arm and a leg. Preferably under $200.

Top Bottom