How much do you pay for shipping on ukuleles?

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
This is mostly for people living outside of the united states, how much do you normally pay in shipping costs for ukuleles? I'm trying to find the best rate to get those Kamoa ukuleles out.

I have not actually purchased a ukulele from the states, when I do eventually have the money saved for the uke i want, I will buy one from MGM.
I have always thought his shipping fees to the UK are fair and reasonably good value. The most i have seen listed is £31.00 ($57.00) for a £194 ($350) uke, this is the most I would pay for shipping. The other end of the scale being £22 delivery on a makala ukulele.
If it was hand delivered by umpa lumpas i would pay a bit more ;) hope this helps.

Last edited:
Shipping USPS from the continental USA to Canada or vice versa is $30-$45 depending on the weight and volume of the package. Average in my experience is closer to $35-$37. Sending the same thing by UPS is $45+.

Brokerage fees and taxes for a uke coming into Canada by USPS amount to 10-20% of the cost. Brokerage fees and taxes for the same package coming by UPS can be 60% or more of the cost. (Yes! I paid $60 in UPS blood money on a $100 used uke coming from the USA this year).

So: A $100 USD uke coming by USPS costs $100+$30 shipping+$20 taxes and brokerage fee = $150 max.
The same uke coming by UPS = $100 + $40 shipping + $60 brokerage = $200 cost.

The moral: ship USPS, not UPS when crossing international borders.

Shipping USPS from the continental USA to Canada or vice versa is $30-$45 depending on the weight and volume of the package. Average in my experience is closer to $35-$37. Sending the same thing by UPS is $45+.

Brokerage fees and taxes for a uke coming into Canada by USPS amount to 10-20% of the cost. Brokerage fees and taxes for the same package coming by UPS can be 60% or more of the cost. (Yes! I paid $60 in UPS blood money on a $100 used uke coming from the USA this year).

So: A $100 USD uke coming by USPS costs $100+$30 shipping+$20 taxes and brokerage fee = $150 max.
The same uke coming by UPS = $100 + $40 shipping + $60 brokerage = $200 cost.

The moral: ship USPS, not UPS when crossing international borders.

Good to know. Only thing is if something happens to the ukulele, USPS probably has the worst claims program of all the shipping providers. We've used them exclusively for CDs, and shirts though because they are a lot cheaper.

Ryan

I have claimed very successfuly against USPS. Took a bit of waiting but they paid in full.

I think most people ship out at $45. What I do is pack my ukes in a cardboard box that has 1" polystyrene walls. Keeps it light and very strong. Dispense with the hardshell case - it adds so much to the shipping cost.

As for duty that is the buyer's problem and anyone who imports should expect to pay it. On the upside, dealing with USPS and the equivalent here in the UK, Royal Mail, it is very hit and miss as to whether or not you get charged shipping. I had $350 worth of koa arrive today at my door with no VAT (the UK equivalent of sales tax) or duty or processing fees. Another time I was charged $30 on an item worth $120. Go figure:confused:

shipping... the thing that makes me go bankrupt...
for my lanikai Lu-21 it was $50 for express, which took about 2-3 days, i forget now. was a $100 uke. with MGM i think he charges about $55US, which is about $55Au anyway, for the koa pili koko which takes 3-4 days...

Top Bottom