Help - justifying #3 uke

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
After a 42 year sabbatical (3-5 grade music class at Pear Harbor Kai Elementary) I am back playing the uke and loving it. My wife gave me a Mahalo U-351 soprano for my B-day. Solid mahogany top and Koa sides. Sounded good but real bad action so off to the local music shop to drop the action. Now it plays great. The only problem was my fingers have gotten chubby in those 42 years so I persuade my wife that I also need a concert.

I’m in southern Minnesota so the local choices are next to nothing. All they have is Lanikai and I was not impressed. After pouring over all the posts here at UU I decide on either a Kala KA-SMHC or an Ohana CK-25. (Sorry Mainland, I just don’t like the binding). So I email Hawaii Music Supply and they are out of the Kala. I email Music Guy Mic at his new website and still haven’t heard back (is he OK?). So I’m down to the Ohana. There’s a music store 2 hours from here that carries Ohana and I’m going by on a trip. I stop to check the action and all they have is the CK-20S. Action is good and sound is nice. Solid top, but not sides and back. Well, not being a patient person I get the CK-20S and am enjoying it.

All that said, I still want a solid body, pretty wood grain concert that’s as nice to look at as it is to hear. So here’s my question: How do you justify the third uke to your wife?

I figure once I get #3 I’m home free. #3 will get me in to “all those ukuleles” category and she may not notice #4, #5, etc.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Having just ordered #3 myself (well, actually, it's number 7 but I moved several on since my UAS really kicked in) I think you may be able to use the shoes analogy. If she's like a lot of us ladies, she has a few pairs of shoes. After all, shoes need to "go" with what we're wearing. I think the rationale is the same. Some ukes are for strumming, some for picking . . . you get the drift. Good luck and never forget, UAS is one of the least of the addictive sins :D

Well, let's see: You need nice 'ukuleles for playing at home and making YouTube videos, and you need "beaters" you can take anywhere without being obsessively concerned with loss or damage. You need a low G and a high G instrument in each category, because they're totally different instruments. So you really need a minimum of four, don't you? ;)

My wife sees how much I play, and how much I enjoy doing so- fortunately that was all the justification I needed :) Truth be told there are a lot more than three though...oops

I have many more than that myself. My wife fully supports my habit gladly. Ukes are much cheaper than chasing fast women and wine. Tell her it is a good investment into a long and fruitful relationship.. ;) (works every time)...

It's man's quest for "Wine, Women, & Song". Aks her to choose which one she would prefer you to seek? <grin>

I have just one uke (so far), but I remember how my wife was when I bought my 5th guitar and 4th fiddle. She got over it, eventually.

I figure if you get enough of them laying around, they won't even notice a new acquisition. I've got a big closet in my "man cave" where I stash my goodies. It's kinda like "out of sight, out of mind".

Since you really enjoy playing the ukulele, why not just step up to the best one you can afford (perhaps something from the Hawaiian K's?) and get rid of the other 2. That way you have a great instrument and only one of them. If that's not an option, you can always tell your wife that she started the habit by giving you that first uke, so she should just deal with it.;)

Uh.... I'm waiting on #11, so maybe you shouldn't ask me, but... here are my thoughts:

1. "If I played golf or skiied or had a bass boat, I would be investing thousands of dollars on my hobby and have nothing to show for it but memories. But instead, I have this beautiful instrument that provides me with music and memories... and is not too bad to look at."
2. "Owning a musical instrument is like having cash in the bank. I get to play it an enjoy it an love it. And should the day come that we need new tires or a kitchen sink, it's pretty easy to turn it back into cash... have you seen those crazy people buying things on UU???"

.......... So here’s my question: How do you justify the third uke to your wife?

I figure once I get #3 I’m home free. #3 will get me in to “all those ukuleles” category and she may not notice #4, #5, etc.

Any advice?

Remind her that wife #1 is all you need, ........... uke #3 takes your mind off searching for wife #2. :D

.....besides, remind her how many pairs of shoes and purses she owns! :rolleyes:

My wife wasn't happy when I got my third tenor - not because I got it, but because I didn't bring her to Magic Fluke with me.

She sees how much I enjoy it, listens to me getting better as I play, and is finally starting to sing with me (something she never did with the guitar.)

We recently went Ukulele shopping together - two sets of ears are better than one . I played, she sat and knitted, and we both evaluated.

No justification needed, other than "I enjoy it, I can afford it, and I want it."

Of course, I also go yarn shopping with her, help her pick out yarns and patterns, and buy her sets of knitting needles and knitting stuff. With no justification needed by her other than "I enjoy it, I can afford it, and I want it."

Recently ran into a case of "I enjoy it, I want it, but I can't afford it." we put it on the back burner, and started saving money. The "I can afford it" part kicks in soon enough.

It is just that simple.

... -Kurt

If you can afford it, there is no reason to "justify it." If you can't afford it, there is no reason that will justify it.

Okay, I know, I'm the buzz-killer. Still, that's really all there is to it. Ukuleles are a luxury item unless you are earning your living with one. So, is it a luxury you can afford? Is the ukuele going to bring you more enjoyment than something else you would spend the disposable income on? If so, go for it. If not, count your blessings and be happy with what you have!

Also, for a little more buzz-kill - having been around this block on both guitar and ukulele - I'm pretty convinced that 90% of most people's UAS is "settling" for less uke than you really want. As long as you have something that is reasonably playable, you'll be much happier in the long run if you save your disposable income until you can buy that "killer uke" that is going to really satisfy you!

John

John

Also, for a little more buzz-kill - having been around this block on both guitar and ukulele - I'm pretty convinced that 90% of most people's UAS is "settling" for less uke than you really want. As long as you have something that is reasonably playable, you'll be much happier in the long run if you save your disposable income until you can buy that "killer uke" that is going to really satisfy you!
John

I don't believe this is true. I have several killer ukes and am always looking.
Just ordered another custom, but have not told anyone the specifics.
Thank goodness I have the income to support my habit.

I have a great significant other who is bitten with the playing bug, but has not acquired UAS (yet).

I have many more than that myself. My wife fully supports my habit gladly. Ukes are much cheaper than chasing fast women and wine. Tell her it is a good investment into a long and fruitful relationship.. ;) (works every time)...

It's man's quest for "Wine, Women, & Song". Aks her to choose which one she would prefer you to seek? <grin>

Is it okay to pick 2 out of 3?

I don't believe this is true. I have several killer ukes and am always looking.
Just ordered another custom, but have not told anyone the specifics.
Thank goodness I have the income to support my habit.

I have a great significant other who is bitten with the playing bug, but has not acquired UAS (yet).

That's why I qualified it with "most." You sound like a collector or hoarder (difference is primarily in whether the tendency remains within or beyond one's financial means). I think most people who are "afflicted with UAS" are in the boat where they keep getting better and better ukes as they recognize the limitations of the ones they own.

John

3rd uke? Ha, you are just getting started. Some thoughts:

A. Mainland makes some ukes without the binding
B. Lots of folks say the binding looks really nice in person when they didn't like it in he pictures.
C. Contact Uke Republic re: ohana Ck 25's and 35's. That CK35g is awesome.

IMO, I think most people with UAS fall in between OldePhart and Sailing Uke, they will buy and as they appreciate better ukuleles, but a lot of people may not stop, but will become more selective in their UAS.

That said, I have always been an advocate of buying used, especially if you can find something nice in the Marketplace. I have a feeling that you really don't know if a concert or a tenor or even a long neck concert will be best for you. Buying a luittle nicer used ukulele may be a good way to go.

Then there is always the Flea/Fluke route that is not that expensive and can still be useful as a take anywhere uke if you move on from that.

John

If you can afford it, there is no reason to "justify it." If you can't afford it, there is no reason that will justify it.
I can agree with the last half of your statement. If you're struggling with expenses and barely making the minimum payment on your credit cards, there's really no way to justify buying another uke that you really don't need.

But let me take a wild guess... are you divorced by any chance? :p

Money is one of the biggest issues in many marriages. Aside from necessities and occasional minor indulgences, my husband and I discuss anything we want to buy. More often than not, we're supportive of each other. I would never try to hide an uke purchase from him.

I don't feel I have to justify a purchase to him, he knows I don't buy things frivolously. But we have other monetary concerns with extensive house remodeling going on, so both of us are trying to keep our non-essential purchases to a minimum. :)

I started with a Lanikai tenor. Not sure what you don't like about them, but it has a beautiful tone. My wife is also a musician and wants to start uke. Goodbye to Lanikai which she now really likes. Hello Mainland tenor solid mahogany and I don't care about the binding. I'm a trumpet player and I have 4 horns--but not the most expensive but still very good. My wife didn't like playing her flute with the trumpet so I just had to get a cornet and flugelhorn (heh, heh). I now have mainland concert pineapple tenor neck on order because we just must have a uke that doesn't have low G string.;) I'm just an intermediate trumpet player and a beginning uker so I don't need the most expensive instruments. Music is a great hobby. We bring entertainment to others, so no guilt here.

Top Bottom