"Stardust" Solo Instrumental, ...Jazz Uke At It's Best

joejeweler

Reaction score
I came across this very nice arrangement of "Stardust" played on solo
ukulele. "Jazz Uke" at it's best! Love the rich chordal structure, hard
to believe such a full arrangment is coming from just 4 strings.

I'd love to get a tab of this, if someone has has it, or is good at transcribing.

PS,....doesn't it bother you when a player can play a tune this complex,....and be looking around the darn room at
the same time! :D

Here's Willie Nelson banging out a version:

Last edited:
Sounds like he might have based his arrangement on Ohta San's. Jumping Jim has a Herb Ohta book that has "Stardust", but I haven't looked at it.

You should also check out Steven Strauss' version.

Sounds like he might have based his arrangement on Ohta San's. Jumping Jim has a Herb Ohta book that has "Stardust", but I haven't looked at it.

You're right,......definately a cover of Uhta Samn's version, now i'll have to locate the book.

(although this video is fairly clear and close up to work the tab out)

You're right,......definately a cover of Uhta Samn's version, now i'll have to locate the book.

(although this video is fairly clear and close up to work the tab out)

Well,.......i just recieved a copy of Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Masters series on Herb Ohta (Ohta-San), titled "Sophisticated Ukulele". I own a few others of this series, one on John King and another on Jazz standards, I prefer tab to learn from,
The John King book had both tab and standard notation, the jazz book just standard notation.

Anyway, at first a got a chuckle when i looked at the back cover and saw the statement in the price window, written
exactly like this in bold and relative sizing:

"Book $12.95, CD $12.00=Pkg $24.95
Parts not sold separately"

:wtf:

Pretty funny, why break the pricing down for 2 separate items, if it's only sold as a single package? :biglaugh:

Anyway,.i was REALLY anxious to get to work on Herb Ohta's solo ukulele version of "Stardust",.....as it's so full of
harmonies, and the melody has always been a favorite of mine. (as well as Willie Nelson's sung version i posted earlier
in this thread)

That was the ENTIRE reason i sprung for this,....getting the solo instrumental version that Herb Ohta plays on youtube!
This book was going to save me a bunch of time and effort in working with the video and trying to figure out the notes and where there are played.

What i have instead is a simple single note melody line in standard notation, a diagram of chords to the tune on top, and the words to the song underneath. This might be ok if i was planning to sing and strum along,.....but i don't sing!

I felt a big disappointment in this being out there with a listing of Herb Ohta's tunes,...yet they are NOT the versions he is known for. I don't believe i've seen Herb even sing,......so an instrumentalist is what he's known for i think.

....all the other tunes listed are similiarly set up, btw.

I give up,.....gonna have to work with the video and stop expecting this series of "cover's" of the ukulele masters to
actually be what makes the most sense,.....BE ACTUAL TRANSCRIPTIONS!

Last edited:
I was afraid that might be the case. Somebody must have worked out the tabs, because I see a lot of covers on YT that seem to be in Ohta San's style.

I've been working out my own no-frills arrangement of this, since I don't really play anything resembling Ohta's style. That thumb stuff is way beyond me. :)

I was afraid that might be the case. Somebody must have worked out the tabs, because I see a lot of covers on YT that seem to be in Ohta San's style.

I've been working out my own no-frills arrangement of this, since I don't really play anything resembling Ohta's style. That thumb stuff is way beyond me. :)

Yeah,...big disappointment,....but don't let the lack of "thumb" activity slow you down! I don't use my thumb much on ukulele,....for some reason the shape of mine tends to hook the limber strings and sound harsh.

I use my middle finger much like Herb uses his thumb, for melody and backround chord strumming. (i'd use my index
finger probably, but it's not all there!)

Anyway, this wonderful arrangement can pretty much be played 1 fingered,.....so try a finger you like the best! :D

....and IF anybody has already worked out an accurate tab of Herb Ohta's "Stardust" instrumental arrangement, pleas pass it along.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Yeah,...big disappointment,....but don't let the lack of "thumb" activity slow you down! I don't use my thumb much on ukulele,....for some reason the shape of mine tends to hook the limber strings and sound harsh.

I use my middle finger much like Herb uses his thumb, for melody and backround chord strumming. (i'd use my index
finger probably, but it's not all there!)

Anyway, this wonderful arrangement can pretty much be played 1 fingered,.....so try a finger you like the best! :D

....and IF anybody has already worked out an accurate tab of Herb Ohta's "Stardust" instrumental arrangement, pleas pass it along.

:cheers:[/QUO

Last edited:
I know this was a cover of Ohta San's version of Stardust, but boy, did you do a wonderful job of playing it. Thanks

Top Bottom