Back

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey, y'all.

we're back from Los gatos and caring for the Father-in-law (don't know when we'll need to go back - not that is "when", not "if".)

Mail drop full of stuff!

Three big boxes - one from Tudorp - my Republic Spruce/Lam Zebrawood concert that he set up for me - can't wait to pay it!
Second from Making Music Magazine - the Ohana Vita Uke!
Third is... a surprise?!?!

Will open them later today - still dealing with 3-1/2 weeks of not being in the house (spider webs, laundry, tracking down that smell....).

Will post pictures soon, sound samples and/or videos later.

Aloha!

.......-Kurt

I know what the surprise is.. I have seen a photo.. TRUST ME when I say.. Kurt is having an excellent time right now.. I for one can not WAIT to hear the sound samples..

Welcome back. Im sitting here waiting on videos.. ;)
Get busy, (but first find those old dirty drawers ya kicked under the bed before ya left.. lol)

Hey, Kurt!

I really enjoyed meeting you in person at our uke club meetings. Your willingness to perform for us provided a spark that showed people it's okay to get up in front of the mike and have fun! Let me know when you'll be back in San Jose.

Hmm...if I counted your list correctly, adding three more ukes brings your total to 12. Impressive!

Gillian

Hey Kurt,

I hope that, under the circumstances, you enjoyed your stay in NoCal. It sounds like you got to play with the San Jose ukulele people and I know you got to go to Ukulele Source. Congrats on your new ukuleles, including the mystery big box that I'm assuming is an ukulele. I can't wait for photos!

Mark

Hi Kurt!

Glad to hear you're back home and have three packages of what I assume are mostly Ukulele :D Enjoy your new Ukes and getting to know them and I also can't wait to see and hear what they look/sound like :D

Great to see you home :D

Joey

Well, it turned out I had FOUR boxes waiting!http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27034&d=1313627804&thumb=1&stc=1
boxes.jpg
Box one was the Firefly I shipped back on Monday - it arrived today, even though I shipped it UPS 3-Day.
box 1.jpg
Box two was the Republic, back from Tudorp.
box 2.jpg
In the case, and open case.
box 2a.jpg
I cannot believe the difference in that instrument! it was unplayable before, even after I changed strings. Now - Very nice! Not loud, but nicely sweet. Spruce top, laminated Zebrawood sides, concert size. Tony replaced the nut and saddle with bone, and spent WAY too much time evening out the frets, but... Wow! Couldn't play past 3rd fret before, and I was all over the neck today!

Thanks muchly again, Tony!

So - boxes 1 and 2 were things I already owned. Back up to the 8 I already owned.

More in the next post.

...-Kurt

On to Box Three!

This is the ohana Vita Uke I won from making Music Magazine. They posted the contest announcement on line here and in the Contest board, and I made a single entry.

While out in California, I got an email telling me I'd won a ukulele, and thought it was a scam. Went to the web site, saw the announcement... I didn't even remember entering!

It shipped while I was still in California, picked it up today.
box 3a.jpg And it has the nice hard shell case!

Nice job of packing, and two goodies in the box with it - shopping/ditty bags!
ohana bag 1.jpgohana bag 2.jpg

And of course, with the seal-shaped sound holes, it needed the "Seal of Approval".
ohana seal of approval.jpg
(seal not included with ukulele - added for giggle factor)

The instrument has a nice feel, is quite loud, and the tuners hold well. More photos next message.

The Vita uke is nice looking, too.
View from the back,

vita uke back.jpg
and the side.
vita uke side.jpg

There was only one cosmetic issue with the uke, and considering I got it free, it is a non-issue. were I to purchase this instrument, then it would be a big issue. There is a munged up section of binging on the back, about 2-1/2 inches from the neck. vita uke binnding.jpg

Does it affect playability? Not in the least. Can you see it from where you're sitting? Not unless I show it to you.

Actually, the only thing that keeps this from being a stellar instrument is, my hands don't work terribly well on the soprano neck. A bit cramped, a bit tight for chording and some of my fingering. that being said, it is a lot easier to play than my soprano harmony, so I will be practicing on the fingering, and keep doing it until I am comfortable.

So this was Box 3.

Box 4 coming up.

Happy to be able to bring a dead uke back to life brother. Just one more to add music to the world again. And congrats on all your other stuff.. It's the holidays at your house in August brudda.. ;)

this is Box 4 - the mystery box.
box 4_0a.jpg
Notice that it shipped from San Jose.

Here's the paper strapped to the case inside the box:
box 4b label.jpg

The stuff in the case pocket:
box 4c stuff.jpg

And what was in the case, 2 views:

sceptre 1.jpg
sceptre 2.jpg

Yes, I went back and bought the Sceptre at Ukulele Source.

Smiley and Janet were great, when I played the instrument again it once again said "I am the one - you want me!".

And while the Sceptre was twice what my budget had allowed, the other half turned up.

The only issue i have with this instrument is, there is no serial number/ date stamp. Smiley didn't see it either.

there is no doubt that this is a genuine Ko'Aloha - I just have to call them, and find out how to get the S/N for the instrument, so I can add it to the insurance policy.

I will be getting some kind of video/sound sample up when I can - probably after I get together with Fitncrafty.

For now, the only issue I have is, what kind of case do I get for the Sceptre? I tried it in the Fremont Rectangle case, and it needs some padding. Any suggestions?

Anyway, that's the new Uke Saga for now. Thanks!

...........-Kurt

Turned out not to be dirty drawers - a mouse got in, and ... well, suffice it to say that there is one less mouse in the house this morning.

My wife was wondering why I wasn't playing any of the new instruments last night... Then she saw me working on the photos and messages, and understood.

I called Ko'Aloha last night, and spoke to Brian about the date stamp/serial number - he said that they don't put them on Papa Ko'Aloha's Special models (PS & Sceptre), but that if I bough this from Smiley, it was bult in February or March. We talked about Cases - I mentioned using a Fremont case, but that it will need about an inch of padding behind the instrument. He said that he likes the Fremont cases - he's also heard a Japanese Company called "Marue" had made a custom case for the Sceptre - anyone know anything about that?

...-Kurt

Top Bottom