Soprano (circa 1920's) I.D. Help

agilitydog

Reaction score
Hope this is a good place for this post. Every few months my bass player friend pulls an old instrument out of one of his closets. Last time it was a 1937 Epiphone that needed binding; this time it was his mother's childhood ukulele (probably 1920's). Would like any information that anyone might provide to further i.d. it. Pictures below. Note the headstock has an angled oval that appears as if it might have been a logo and was covered over at some point. Thanks for any direction you can give. BTW, does anyone know if the label NAMIM is the same org as NAMM? Thanks.View attachment 27006View attachment 27007View attachment 27008View attachment 27009View attachment 27010

Here's my guess:

The NAMIM label could have been a mainland response to the TABU label appearing on Hawaiian ukuleles, which came about because of the "authentically simulated" ukes being passed off as actual Hawaii-made products.

Looks to be a Regal made uke to me, possibly Chicago. Definitely not Hawaiian made. The bridge also looks like it has been replaced.

Update...thanks to everyone for the help!! I also posted on some other sites and just got an update from Tom Walsh, at The Ukulele Hall of Fame site. For those who were interested, he writes, "I believe the tilted oval used to say "Glee Club", I am attaching a photo of an ukulele with the logo. Glee Club was a trade name used by C. Bruno, a New York City based musical instrument distributor. Bruno sold instruments made by many manufacturers. Your ukulele was manufactured by the Regal Co. of Chicago, Illinois. Regal made mostly pretty inexpensive instruments, but your ukulele is from the high end of their range. The Glee club name was registered and first used in 1925, and I would estimate your ukulele to have been made between 1925 and 1935. "

He included what he believed was a similar headstock picture. The Glee, I'm told, refers to a group formed pre 1920 at the Royal Hawaiian Gardens. Please someone correct this origins reference if it is inaccurate. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom