A Soprano for KingKahnV

Bradford

Reaction score
Here is the start of a soprano for KingKahnV. Sadly that is the last of that particular koa. My thanks to Bruce Creps of Notable Woods who supplied the wood. He is great to work with.

Brad

Attachments

• PP1 001.jpg
    PP1 001.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 273
  • PP1 002.jpg
    PP1 002.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 208
  • PP1 005.jpg
    PP1 005.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 235
wow, that is so pretty.
Brad, I have two questions about this soprano.
(1) is the bridge plate made of koa as well?
(2) Is the neck block bigger? what is the reason for the bigger neck block?
Thanks so much.
Always a pleasure to learn from you guys...:eek:

The bridge plate is koa. The neck block is my standard 2 inches wide by 3/4 inch thick. I must have got a funny camera angle, because it does look huge in the pic.

Brad

My myrtlewood/Port Orford cedar arrives tomorrow - Brad's on a roll! Congrats on a beautiful uke!

My myrtlewood/Port Orford cedar arrives tomorrow - Brad's on a roll! Congrats on a beautiful uke!

Exciting!!!. Post pics, sound, please.

That sure is some perty wood,......you're not up to mine yet,...maybe? :)

......as you get older, time seems to really fly,......but i doubt it's been 6 months though! :biglaugh:

Hi Bonita! I've posted pics in the PoHo thread...I'll put some up here when I have a video...

Jon, left a note for you over there. I don't know how you PoHo's do it - have conversations with multiple people all at the same time. I went there once before, felt like I was in Indiana again, lost on all these hilly, curvy roads with no map at 1030 P.M. trying to find the motel in Nashville. Or maybe it's more akin to watching a soap that I've never seen and trying to figure out what's going on. When you get to do a build with Brad hope you'll post it in the Luthier's Lounge.

Look forward to your video. You have a beautiful uke, Jon, unique and easily identifiable as yours. Happy for you.

Jon, left a note for you over there. I don't know how you PoHo's do it - have conversations with multiple people all at the same time. I went there once before, felt like I was in Indiana again, lost on all these hilly, curvy roads with no map at 1030 P.M. trying to find the motel in Nashville. Or maybe it's more akin to watching a soap that I've never seen and trying to figure out what's going on. When you get to do a build with Brad hope you'll post it in the Luthier's Lounge.

Look forward to your video. You have a beautiful uke, Jon, unique and easily identifiable as yours. Happy for you.

Thanks, Bonita! You already know most of us...it takes a bit to get used to some of our "in jokes" and things, but if you watch for a bit you get used to the flow... Besides - being back in Indiana with all those folks would be a very, very good thing!

I've got the box closed up, will do the binding when ai get back from Maui. Here are some progress pics.

Brad

Attachments

• KP3 001.jpg
    KP3 001.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 92
  • KP3 002.jpg
    KP3 002.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 87
  • KP3 004.jpg
    KP3 004.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 89
  • KP3 005.jpg
    KP3 005.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 86
Back from Maui and back to building. The binding material will be here tomorrow, in this meantime here is the fretboard, with silver turtle position markers.

Brad

Attachments

• FB 001.jpg
    FB 001.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 63
  • FB 004.jpg
    FB 004.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 77
Sorry you had to come back to reality, Brad, but I'm looking forward to watching the progress on this uke again!

(loving mine...it's everything I wanted!)

I've got the body done, on to the neck.

Brad

Attachments

• KP7 001.jpg
    KP7 001.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 100
  • KP7 002.jpg
    KP7 002.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 52
  • KP7 003.jpg
    KP7 003.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 51
Starting to get close now, need a bridge, nut, saddle and tuners.

Brad

Attachments

• KP6 001.jpg
    KP6 001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 97
  • KP6 002.jpg
    KP6 002.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 81
  • KP6 003.jpg
    KP6 003.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 73
Sweet looking uke. One thing I noticed right away is that the headstock looks alot like one of Chuck's with that distinctive sweep. The body is going to look outstanding with the final finish.

Fantastic looking uke. Lovin' everything about it but the best thing is... NECK STRIPE, YES! lol.. It's a beauty.

Top Bottom