Looking for Sad Songs to play on the uke...got any to recommend?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Sometimes I just want to play some sad songs, happy ones don't always fit my mood. Like today. :(

Only sad song I know and play is "Danny Boy".

Got any recommendations (especially ones easy to play)? I guess some blues tunes may be the way to go.

Thanks.

My favorite sad song on the uke is You Are My Sunshine. People usually play it as an upbeat song, but if you pay attention to the lyrics it's anything but that. I play it in a minor key and slow it down.

Hurt would be a good one. And what about tears in heaven there is a UU lesson on that one.

Well I think Sting's "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying" will take most if not all the joy out of your life... and if it is even remotely applicable, I would stay away from tall buildings.

John

Well I think Sting's "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying" will take most if not all the joy out of your life... and if it is even remotely applicable, I would stay away from tall buildings.

John

Thanks John. That comment even made me smile today.
Thanks everyone, I'm getting some good sad songs here.
Keep them coming.

I like to play "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie. It translates very well to the uke, and is a great song to boot. I don't necessarily think it's a sad song, but it is about death so...

'Rex's Blues' by Townes Van Zandt..... he wasn't exactly a chipper guy, and I think there's something especially dark about this one. Plus, its only two chords, I and IV. I play it in F (F & Bb)..... my favorite sad song. There's a cover on my youtube channel.....

Look to the Irish. :(

I Am Stretched On Your Grave
A Pair Of Brown Eyes
Four Green Fields
Sniper's Promise

Just a few off the top of my head...

Of course, it depends on what you want to be sad about.

Jason

Sometimes I just want to play some sad songs, happy ones don't always fit my mood. Like today. :(

Only sad song I know and play is "Danny Boy".

Got any recommendations (especially ones easy to play)? I guess some blues tunes may be the way to go.

Thanks.

Whatever it is, my heart is with you and I hope it gets better real fast.

Another melancholy Irish tune, Slane - better known as Lord of All Hopefulness and other titles. It not only has a mournful melody, but is very pleasant on the 'ukulele.

Here's a beautiful rendition by Mia Rosie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbnSaapFzKU

Here's wishing for happier times and tunes in your near future..

"What'll I Do?". Page 258 in the 365.

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry is always a favorite.

. -Kurt

Top Bottom