PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see on uke minutes?

Aldrine Guerrero
08-17-2011, 11:36 AM
This is assuming that people even view the content on the front page instead of coming directly here to the forums haha.

We've been coming up with uke minutes for the past 4 years now. We've covered everything from basic uke techniques to stuff that you can do with your ukulele but probably never have to haha. I still have a bunch up my sleeve but I wanna reach out to you guys and ask for your opinion on what YOU want to see. The uke minutes are for YOU guys to learn more about your uke and its potential.

So, in short, what do you guys wanna see on uke minutes? :cool:

salukulady
08-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Aldrines wonderful face....that's all. (okay that came off a little creepy coming from me)

Gillian
08-17-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm in awe of the finger picking prowess of Troy Fernandez. Can you show us how he does some of his licks....sloooowly?

I absolutely love UU. Many thanks for starting it.

Gillian

tainauke
08-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Love the Uke Minutes, but can't think of anything that you haven't already covered...

But you have a bunch more up your sleeve? That's great!!!! Keep 'em comin'!!!!!!!!!

kaizersoza
08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
more tips on how to change frets without gaps, i know you are going to say practice practice practice and i do but there must be some knacks that we can use to speed up the process

uker62
08-17-2011, 01:12 PM
One technique I have trouble with is changing smoothly from strumming to picking and back again. Maybe you've covered it but I haven't found it.

CoLmes
08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
I liked that you branched out on other things that had to do with the uke like recording. Maybe actually get in to bigger detail like explaining different microphones or something like that. Maybe actually break down how YOU record a song since you just recorded your album.

gyosh
08-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Maybe how to do basic set-up on a uke? Adjusting the action or curing minor problems by altering the nut and/or bridge? Maybe at the very least, how to diagnose the most common problems.

Thanks,

-Gary

PS - are you going to make an appearance at the Wine Country Uke Festival this year?

rem50
08-17-2011, 03:00 PM
I love UM! I have not seen them all I am sure but I would like strumming techniques and would really like some simple music theory. I don't know any:)

ukunuke
08-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Love UM, and maybe you've covered this before, but how about some riffs. Opening line kind of stuff. Decidedly Hawaiian maybe? Just a thought . . .

d2d
08-17-2011, 03:31 PM
I'd like to learn how to play a song (not sure of the name of the technique) where you play the melody and the chords at the same time
thanks, Aldrine

RawrGazzawrs
08-17-2011, 04:58 PM
IMO what your doinng now is fine. Even if some people cant keep up with yout more recent UM videos they always can when they get better. But i guess if i had to request a topic it would be basic setups and fixing some minor issues. Basically problems that anyone can fix.

rreffner
08-17-2011, 05:03 PM
When on the forum, is there a link taking you to the front page?

SuzukHammer
08-17-2011, 05:40 PM
I'd like to see some of that blues stlye ala Kenny Wayne Shepherd
King's Highway
Slow Ride
True Lies
somehow, somewhere someway
everything is broken
and Long Gone.

Its got both country blues and Stevie Ray Vaughn influence and I'm trying to learn it from scratch; but it'd be nice to know the shortcuts.

salukulady
08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
When on the forum, is there a link taking you to the front page?Bottom right corner "ukulele underground" in brown.

Aiki Uke
08-17-2011, 05:53 PM
I'd like to see more cow bell.

mandrew
08-17-2011, 06:42 PM
MORE ON SLACK KEY! You did one spot where you explained how to tune ,but nothing else. More on slack key use, tuning, chording, and playing up the fret board. Anything slack key!!!!

ricdoug
08-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Aldrines wonderful face....that's all. (okay that came off a little creepy coming from me)... Wait... is this Deja Vu? Ric

matthewfilip
08-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Someone already mentioned it but I would also like some advice on set up for ukuleles. Maybe some common problems that new ukuleles may have and how to fix them such as adjusting the action and whatnot.

I am new around here though so this may have been covered already and if thats the case then just ignore my jibber-jabber :]

Also if it has been covered I'd very much appreciate being pointed in the right direction because got my uke last christmas and it has been serving me well but I feel like I could get a lot more out of it by adjusting the action (I put a capo on the first fret one time and so that lowered the action a bit and it was absolutely a dream to play :D). But yeep that is my two cents :]

-matt

souljam
08-17-2011, 09:05 PM
How about something having to do with picking out amps and adjusting the levels to make your ukulele sound better?

webby
08-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I'd like to have the lead breaks from "Lets get it on" broken down into sections, please.

Cheers man

webby

Lexxy
08-17-2011, 10:55 PM
How bout your song 'Spring Rain'? Love that song.

NordicUke
08-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Compress all the information and make a DVD? I would buy it! :iwant:

3nails4holes
08-18-2011, 02:50 AM
5 ideas i'm thinking of...

1) on your solos and improv cd, you show what notes on the fretboard to use for a solos in the keys of f, g, and a (if i recall correctly). but how exactly am i to figure out what key a song is in in the first place? if i have the actual musical scale given from a song, then yeah i can look at the sharps and flats & go from there to figure the key (many people would maybe like a refresher on how to do that). but what if i just have a bunch of chords from a song? then how do i know what key it's in. for example, if i go on chordie.com and look up "margaritaville" by jimmy b, it'll give me the chords. but how do i know if that's the key of g, and i iv iii or whatever?

2) maybe some guest interviews. for example, get pops koaloha or jake s to appear either live, ichat, skype or whatever to talk about basic playing advice, how they got into the biz, fave uke story, etc.

3) show a la mr. roger's visits to factories or "how it's made," the basics of how a uke is built from plank to finished product.

4) a super string showdown. take the exact same instrument and play the exact same song. use different strings & then have people vote on their favorites or then let a prof from the univ of hawaii do sound analysis on all of the aspects that ppl say they like about their strings: sustain, "bright," treble, bass, etc.

5) what to do with a uke or string with the following situation: it's tuned properly to "a," but as you play that string down the fretboard, the notes gradually go sharp or flat. when to go with a compensated saddle or not. when to file down the nut notches or not for intonation. this would be a big help to me right now!

hope these help! keep up the good work!

mahalo!

Mandarb
08-18-2011, 03:02 AM
Aldrine - thanks for all of your hard work. I think the Uke Minutes are great and I have learned a lot.

You have spoken about improv and solos before but I am getting into attempting to solo so I think some lessons along those lines would be great.

hoosierhiver
08-18-2011, 04:07 AM
1) A behind the scenes video introducing the other UU guys.

2) Maybe an occasional guest teacher/player

3) Tours of uke factories, museums or even hula lessons

4) I'd also like to see what those roosters look like that I hear in every video.

Raygf
08-18-2011, 04:21 AM
I'd like to hear about improving/refining a plugged-in sound. I have had Mi-Si pickups installed in 2 tenors (low g and high g) and would love some input on playing plugged-in. Speaking of playing pugged-in, I need to go plug in and practice for a performance coming up on Saturday. Thanks for all of your hard work. Keep those Uke Minutes coming!

salukulady
08-18-2011, 04:50 AM
I'd like to hear about improving/refining a plugged-in sound. I have had Mi-Si pickups installed in 2 tenors (low g and high g) and would love some input on playing plugged-in. Speaking of playing pugged-in, I need to go plug in and practice for a performance coming up on Saturday. Thanks for all of your hard work. Keep those Uke Minutes coming!Buy an acoustic amp if you want to have a more pure uke sound.

russ_buss
08-18-2011, 07:48 AM
1) A behind the scenes video introducing the other UU guys.

2) Maybe an occasional guest teacher/player

3) Tours of uke factories, museums or even hula lessons

4) I'd also like to see what those roosters look like that I hear in every video.

those are some great ideas! also, doesn't Aldrine moonlight as a kumu hula? not sure where i heard that, but yeah.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Might be too involved for a Uke Minute, but lately I've been getting more comfortable with multiple fingerings for the same chord. Different fingerings get used depending on the chord's context. This is especially useful for barre chords. An example: a diminished chord can use all four fingers or be played as a barre chord with either the first or second finger used to barre the strings. I've used all three of these fingerings lately, depending on which chords precede and follow the diminished chord. Fun.

PS Thanks for Uke Minutes! They're great.

Pueo
08-18-2011, 08:20 AM
1)
Oh, you mean these critters?
http://www.purplerobot.com/Wedding/74.jpg

Raygf
08-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Buy an acoustic amp if you want to have a more pure uke sound.

Thanks, I've been using a Yorkville AM 100 (Acoustic Master) for years now. I want to sell some other equipment that I don't use and buy a Roland AC-33 to replace the Yorkville. For now it's okay. I'd like to hear how Aldrine sets his amp for finger picking, strumming, etc. and other suggestions and tips for playing plugged-in.

hibiscus
08-18-2011, 10:18 AM
:eek: I just discovered the thread~ WOW! Thank you, Aldrine. I have a lot of interesting, fun things to learn!

peytakeeho
08-18-2011, 11:43 AM
How to control improv would be cool, cause whenever I go for it I just play every note on top of every other one until something twangs :P

Also, how to play the same series of notes with different 'feeling' :)

Maxjunk
08-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Get deep down into minute details on things like picking, strumming, and fingering, and tips on how to do all of those. Like a few episodes on how to effectively play all of the major tricky notes. Also, maybe some help with ukulele problems such as buzzing strings and such. Just keep posting, I always learn something from an uke minutes! :D

Ghuyduk
08-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I'd like to hear some personal stories about performance gigs where what you worked around obstacles to present a successful concert, in an instructional format. Like when the sound system promised is non-existent, or when you rhythm section doesn't show up, or when your audience is expecting a certain group/style but you are on the schedule, or when you break a string during a song, or when you forget the lyrics to a song, or when you or your band starts in a different key, or when the tempo speeds up/slows down, or when the rest of the band doesn't know when the song is supposed to end, or when the audience is not listening, or what to play when you get applauded back onstage for an encore after your final song, etc. etc. etc. Makes for good reading as well as being educational!

pulelehua
08-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Longer episodes on very tricky things, like the 8-finger roll and fan strum. Really breaking it down, showing the same thing from different angles. Explaining how to transit from slow to fast, as there are often little things which change when the speed increases.

This would take a fair bit more time, I realise. I just think Uke Minutes is one of the absolute best things on the internet. :)

salukulady
08-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks, I've been using a Yorkville AM 100 (Acoustic Master) for years now. I want to sell some other equipment that I don't use and buy a Roland AC-33 to replace the Yorkville. For now it's okay. I'd like to hear how Aldrine sets his amp for finger picking, strumming, etc. and other suggestions and tips for playing plugged-in.A Roland AC.....Ha ha too funny....I plugged into every amp I could find for a year b4 I finally plugged into a Roland AC60 and was sold. The 33 wasn't out yet and I needed mine for stage so I'm not sure if the 33 would have had enough umph with a 5 piece band anyway. I have been very happy with my Roland AC. I recommend them to everyone who wants to keep the pure sound of the ukulele. Good luck.

He can tell you this also and I don't know what he prefers at home, but when ALdrine has played here he plugs directly into the house sound system. He has a very nice pricey cord he uses. He then adjusts it with the sound man. He likes quite a bit of reverb. He gets his fancy sounds and affects with different pedals.

Raygf
08-19-2011, 12:50 AM
A Roland AC.....Ha ha too funny....I plugged into every amp I could find for a year b4 I finally plugged into a Roland AC60 and was sold. The 33 wasn't out yet and I needed mine for stage so I'm not sure if the 33 would have had enough umph with a 5 piece band anyway. I have been very happy with my Roland AC. I recommend them to everyone who wants to keep the pure sound of the ukulele. Good luck.
He can tell you this also and I don't know what he prefers at home, but when ALdrine has played here he plugs directly into the house sound system. He has a very nice pricey cord he uses. He then adjusts it with the sound man. He likes quite a bit of reverb. He gets his fancy sounds and affects with different pedals.

Always good to hear an endorsement for Roland products. I too have not heard anything better to my ears in the small acoustic amp market. I do recall Aldrine discussing the pricey cable somewhere along the line and would love to here more from him about effects, settings, etc. Thanks.

hapuna
08-19-2011, 05:10 AM
OK I'm sure you will get lots of requests for stuff you already did but here it is. Because of a broken baby finger on my left hand I cant have it in the same fret as any other fingers. The good news is I have great reach!! I need to know ways to "cheat" chords so that they sound ok or fake out the sound so that it sounds good. I know there are other voicings but sometimes it doesn't work. One example I saw on a lesson of yours was with the B. You had the bar and then there was a finger on the G below but you indicated that it wasn't necessary cause sounded so close no one could tell. That's the kind of stuff that could help me. Hopefully you get the idea.

ItsMrPitchy
08-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the uke minutes i love them.

I struggled to think of something you have not covered. But it thought about an episode on giving tips to new upcoming teachers or performers. Being that the UU crew are experienced in this i think it would be great.