So i tried to play my ukulele

raecarter

Reaction score
After my shoulder op ten days ago. I only flicked my finger over the strings instead of a full on strum and the pain in my bicep was quite uncomfortable! I'm assuming the muscles are all attached to the repaired parts. This has left me gutted as I miss playing. The worse thing is I keep thinking of songs to add to my set list but can't experiment

Patience is a virtue. Virtue is its own reward. :)

I know how you feel.... broke a finger a few years ago and it was an excruciating couple of weeks until I could play again. Hang in there, man - the hard part's over..... just get better and look forward to your new-and-improved shoulder....

Thanks mate i was thinking my strumming may be able to be faster afterwards once my muscles are repaired?

Slowly slowly catchee monkey!!! take it easy bruv, you might hinder your recovery, I know how hard it is, I've been there and got the
T- shirt.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey!!! take it easy bruv, you might hinder your recovery, I know how hard it is, I've been there and got the
T- shirt.

Yeah I quickly realised this mate. Just wanted to try. You selling your mainland still?

Good luck in your recovery, rae. I hope it goes well and you are playing again real soon.
Cheers

Rest up and heal first Rae! You'll be back playing in no time!

The silver lining (I think) is that there is a likelihood that once you start to heal up a bit more, playing will actually end up being a form of physical therapy for you, which would mean you'd be forced to play. Certainly something I'd bring up with your doctor once he sets out the recovery path for you.

Think of that. Being told you *must* play the 'ukulele in order to fully recover! Now that is a prescription that is worth filling.

Hi everyone thanks for your comments. I've experienced a really sore socket today and am worried that created this pain by trying to play so I am being really careful today not to do anything to aggravate this shoulder. That is a good point with the playing ill definitely bring that up. I have an appointment Monday in the fracture clinic so I'll get an opportunity to discuss everything then. Again thanks for your wishes. Rae "a frustrated person"

That is a good point with the playing ill definitely bring that up. I have an appointment Monday in the fracture clinic so I'll get an opportunity to discuss everything then.
Yes, definitely something to discuss with your therapist. In fact, I'd say take an uke along with you to your appointment so you can show them the range of motion you will need to be able to play. It's your recovery and you have the right to set your own goals. Their job is to help you achieve them safely without reinjuring yourself.

When I had surgery for a hand injury a few years ago, my therapist told me her best success stories were musicians, because they were the most motivated. :)

Ugh, sorry to hear it, but knew it would be the case. Follow everything the therapist recommends and you will be back playing in know time, with a new bionic shoulder! How is your finger dexterity? I figure the other poster (I forget which) was right in suggesting fingerpicking practice, because that is a LONG time spent hammering patterns out before they stick and requires no movement other than 3 fingers.

It's actually the movement at the hand end affecting the muscles at the shoulder that is causing the issue tck. I've decided im just Going to be really strict with myself until I've been told otherwise

It's actually the movement at the hand end affecting the muscles at the shoulder that is causing the issue tck. I've decided im just Going to be really strict with myself until I've been told otherwise
Yeah- that is probably best if hand tendons are causing pain in the shoulder. Take it slow and easy on this one for sure-you want to come back better than ever

Yeah- that is probably best if hand tendons are causing pain in the shoulder. Take it slow and easy on this one for sure-you want to come back better than ever

Yeah thanks mate i was thinking about the fact before I didn't have tendons as they were torn so potentially when I have them my ability to strum quicker may be possible?

wow 10 days! really take it easy. During surgery, we typically cut through a lot of tissue, and muscle tissue... it takes a while for it to heal fully, but when it does, trust me, it will be much better than if you tried to force it!

Rae, please don't push it. A retear can happen more easily than you might imagine. Trust me , you don't want to go down that road.

Okay you two are clearly people with a lot of experience in this yesterday I did absolutely nothing and I've woken up this morning and it feels much better so I'm taking that and your advice as a good indicator to slow down.

Hi Rae,

Hope you're doing better. The more you rest after the operation, the faster you'll recover during physical therapy. Your body has been under a lot of stress and needs to heal before doing anything, or the surgery may have been for nothing. (i've had 2 knee surgeries!)

I know it's hard. Be patient, and remember, your therapist will want you back on your uke as soon as you do! Keep us posted on your progress

Top Bottom