My Ukulele Dichotomy

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
At home, I just like to let it rip. Mistakes be damned and they never really happen because the music just flows nicely and LOUDLY like it is a raging expression..... Such that I fear my neighbors may start commenting; but, I'll play hard until they do.

The dichotomy is when I play outside and moreso when anybody is around. I play muted and I feel pressured - hoping I don't cause anybody mental duress if I screw up a chord. I rarely sing - just play progressions and song parts I know. Mistakes seem to come up all the time because this nervousness just oozes into my stiff hands. I play only those safe slow strums. Boring!!

But today I got a positive comment while I was playing uke by the swimming pool. He said he closed his eyes and it felt like he was listening to music by the beach. It was an honest comment because dudes don't talk like that.

I can't wait for my wife to come live with me so I can go outside and let it rip with her as my security blanket.

Until then, I just keep practicing and building up technique and material. There, at home, I play like I got my own concert hall. And I sing loudly too. geek. like.

I used to have the exact same problem but in time I got over it.
I'm still nervous as God knows what when I have to play a show with my band but in general I'm pretty comfortable playing for strangers.

That is good to know. I guess I should be happy with being happy to play loose at home.

But, I'd like to feel like everytime I play, I can make it fun and unique and palatable.

I remember playing UWC, getting upstage for the first time and that uke felt slippery like I forgot how to hold it. It was a good lesson to go through because UU people are supportive; but, the real world feels like a harsh critic even though its just all in my head.

That is so funny that you say you worry about causing someone mental duress by screwing up when playing with people because I do the same thing at uke group. Which is so funny because it is not like I am playing with professionals and I am concentrating so much I would never notice if the people by me were messing up so I doubt they are paying much attention to me either. Ha ha, I let it rip at home too but when I record myself I hear how awful I actually sing. Oh well, I figure there is more hope with my uke playing abilities increasing and I am just stuck with this voice.

If you only hear how terrible you sing on recordings I guess that makes you a better singer than me. I always hear how terrible I am haha

I had the same exact problem, and still do to some extent. What really helped me was watching my Uncle play his guitar over vacation. There were about 15 of my cousins/aunts/uncles sitting outside watching the lake when my Uncle came out with his guitar, sat down and just started playing and singing with a confidence that you had to admire. I think his confidence rubbed off on me because since then I've been playing and singing in front of a lot more people. Anyway, that's what helped me to play/sing in front of others

I was shocked when some persons demanded I play my uke when we were sitting at the table. They put out the double dog dare to me expecting me to shy away.

I launched into song and I could see from their faces that they were shocked I was ripping it out. THey kept waiting for me to stop ; but, I kept on going and at the end they said I was too good to play with; but they wanted to start a band right there.

It felt good to rip it right there, playing the chords without looking and holdng my head high while singing. I was staring them in the eye and smiling the whole time.

They say the singing gets better. I hope so. I haven't recorded me so I enjoy my singing so far. It "sounds" in key at the time. I do realize the difference in being lazy while singing, the key and pitch is off; but, when I really try to bury the note into the chord, its seems better, good enough to not make me want to stop.

Top Bottom