Trying new tuning on Guitalele

engravertom

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
hello all,

I bought a Yamaha guitalele about 5 or 6 weeks ago, in order to play classical music without re working it. i fugred more time practicng, less time at the keyboard would be good. However, i was neglecting my regular Uke playing , especially songs i had already learned. i was pretty uch using the guitalele for finger style, and the Uke for strumming only. However, I was spending time reworking the Uke tunes I already new, and i was missing the re entrant tuning. I tried re rentrant tuning on a capoed guitar several months ago, but found i really couldn't play Low G tunes withut a lot of difficulty.

The solution? I re tuned my guitalele to renentrant uning, but with a Low G and a low D as the two bass notes. Now, I have a regular Uke on the first four strings, a low G when I need it, and a 5 course small guitar when i want to play that way.

Some chords are a bit more complicated, but if they get too out of hand, i can just play Uke chords on the first four strings. One guitar picece i was learning only needed a couple of notes brought up an octave to work, and I have to just skip the high G.

So far, it has a lot of promise for how i want to play. baroque guitars were 5 course, so there is a lot out there to explore.

I'll let you know how things progress, and eventually put up some videos showing how this works.

I may have found my ultimake Uke, in this type of tuning on a Guitalele!

take care,

Tom

I was just yesterday thinking about this, Except having an A instead of D, so it would be AGgCea, but now I have seen this it is clear a low D would be better.
I guess all you needed was a tenor high G string, and shifted low G and D to the left.
Do you have any video's of it in action?

Edit: Oops, read this as 2012!

Top Bottom