PDA

View Full Version : review of Kala flamed maple concert ukulele

kaizersoza
08-18-2011, 12:23 PM
I fancied one of these because of their bright and punchy sound and I was'nt disappointed.....with the sound and volume at first, then i started strumming a few chords and there is an almighty buzz coming from the A string and also the C string if I play it hard, now i am a relative noob and it could be down to my inexperienced fretting skills coz it does happen at times on all my other ukes but because of the brightness of this uke it sounds far more prominent.
The finish on the uke is I must say absolutely stunning with some nice flaming and some really attractive spalting on both the body, the back and headstock, the uke has a high gloss finish with a solid spruce top which gives it its punch and is a real eye catcher, it caught my eye because it looked so different to all the other ukes i have seen out there, it has a solid maple neck with mahogany binding and black and white purfling around the edge of the top and body, there is also an attractive abelone rosette around the sound hole.
I am relatively happy with this uke though not extatic, the buzz is really annoying me and i read a thread on UU recently and capo'ed it from the second fret and there was very little buzzing so hopefully if it is the uke it will be the bridge end and the action being raised could cure it, another bone of contention is the uke is advertised with amber tuning buttons, mine came with black, its not really a problem but i think the uke looks better with the amber ones, all in all for 149 and a bit of tinkering i should have a punchy uke with a little bit of individuality that needs taming, thanx for takin the time to read this review
kaizer

808boy
08-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Aloha kaizersoza,
I too have a Kala FMC and it is beautiful and sounds bright and punchy. Mine didn't have any buzzing, but I'm sure that can be cured. I bought it used and it came with Kala Reds strings which I wasn't happy with. Changed them to Aquilas and it made a world of difference. Good luck with yours and have fun with it.....................BO.................

kaizersoza
08-19-2011, 05:17 AM
yo Bo, it came with aquilas on it, i have just finished a 2 hour practise sesh and i did'nt notice the buzzing so much so its probably down to my fretting skills, if not as you said in your post i can probably get it sorted, thanx for the response, happy strumming m8.............kaizer

icuker
08-30-2011, 07:26 AM
I've really liked the ones that have come into our local music shop. I've played all sizes from Soprano to Tenor. I think for the money, very impressive. I haven't noticed intonation issues, but sometimes the shop can be noisy....

kaizersoza
08-30-2011, 01:52 PM
hi icuker, this is a very beautiful instrument, with a punchy bright sound, its probably down to my fretting skills that i get the buzz, i am just going to play the hell out of it, mainly to give my fluke a break, the intonation is not bad though when i play down the frets it just about stays in key so i'm relatively happy

kaizersoza
09-06-2011, 07:12 AM
I now know that the buzz that I was having was because of my fretting skills, because as I have gotten used to this little beauty the buzz has disappeared, also I have just received my new Mainland and that does have a buzz coming from the bridge and you know what folks......it is completely different to the buzzing i was getting from the kala fmc, so now i know, now how to get the buzz sorted on my mainland hhmmm

bazmaz
09-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Re the buzzing. - follow these steps through carefully, one by one. Hopefully it will be something simple.

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/09/buzzes-and-rattles-on-ukulele.html

kaizersoza
09-11-2011, 12:41 PM
my kala flamed maple just keeps growing on me, the punchy, bright sound is worming its way into my ukeloving heart, ok so its not the best for plaing melancholic bluesy type stuff but man it certainly puts a big smile on my face when i bang out a breezy tune.... love it

kaizersoza
09-12-2011, 02:41 PM
some pics of my flamed maple

Trinimon
09-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Looks like a beauty! Congrats!