Shipping question

roxhum

Reaction score
I have a question about shipping ukuleles. I have always double boxed ukuleles when shipping and almost always received ukes double boxed. One time I got a uke in the one uke box and it freaked me out a bit, but the uke was safe and sound. So my question is if it is safe if you package the uke with foam and bubble wrap (no uke case) in the uke box or if you should always double box. The uke in question will be shipped from the west coast of USA to the east coast so it is traveling a bit of a distance but at least it is not international. What are your thoughts...

This is a Kamoa solid mahogany pineapple I received today shipped in a single box with bubble wrap and styro peanuts. Just sayin . . .

photo-1.jpg

On the other hand, packing materials are relatively cheap insurance.

Double box. It's not much more effort, shouldn't impact the shipping cost much, and makes your uke much, much safer. I also believe UPS and FedEx may give you trouble should you need to file a claim if you don't double box.

Roxie just make sure the uke is stable in the box...that, when you shake it gently there is no sign of any movement. Of course, double boxing is better, but I have received several ukes that had no case, nor were double boxed and they arrived fine. I also agree with Chuck; go the quickest shipping option you can afford to avoid delays. Really, provided the top, back and sides are well padded little should go wrong. Oh, insure it too!!!

Roxie just make sure the uke is stable in the box...that, when you shake it gently there is no sign of any movement. Of course, double boxing is better, but I have received several ukes that had no case, nor were double boxed and they arrived fine. I also agree with Chuck; go the quickest shipping option you can afford to avoid delays. Really, provided the top, back and sides are well padded little should go wrong. Oh, insure it too!!!

Thanks Jon! Ya no that little Black Bear I got from you is my favorite!!!

I know that this doesn't pertain to ukuleles but it seems fitting given the topic. Just this week I received a hammered dulcimer (the trapazoidal-shaped instrument) that had been sent through a UPS store. To my dismay, they had not boxed it whatsoever!!!!!! It was shipped in the velcro'd nylon case that is used to transport it to/from jams/workshops. BUT NO BOX OR OTHER PROTECTION!!!!!

Believe it or not, there was no damage done to the dulcimer. I just tuned it up and it was ready to play. Go figure!

Allen

If I'm shipping a uke in a hard case, I'll just use one box with lots of packing material around the case. If it's in anything less than a hard case, double boxing is the way to go.

I know that this doesn't pertain to ukuleles but it seems fitting given the topic. Just this week I received a hammered dulcimer (the trapazoidal-shaped instrument) that had been sent through a UPS store. To my dismay, they had not boxed it whatsoever!!!!!! It was shipped in the velcro'd nylon case that is used to transport it to/from jams/workshops. BUT NO BOX OR OTHER PROTECTION!!!!!

Believe it or not, there was no damage done to the dulcimer. I just tuned it up and it was ready to play. Go figure!

Allen

A similar thing happened to the store I work at. We let someone rent a classical guitar. They were going to be in town for a couple of days and wanted a guitar to play. We gave them a gigbag for it for a little protection. A few days later, the UPS guy showed up carrying it in the gigbag. They had shipped it from Massachusetts with absolutely no box, no packing materials...nothing. Amazingly, there was no damage. Sometimes you get lucky.

If I'm shipping a uke in a hard case, I'll just use one box with lots of packing material around the case. If it's in anything less than a hard case, double boxing is the way to go.

Agreed. I've mentioned this before but this reminds me of my buddy here who received an uke shipped from Japan in the hard-shell case alone. No box, simply taped a label to it an duct taped the latches. Not recommended but it arrived fine.

Top Bottom