Advice: Strings for my solid mahogany soprano

khairijamian

Reaction score
Anyone wanna suggest me a new strings for my soprano? It's a solid mahogany with the Aquilas, and I kinda hate the sounds projected from them. Heard good things about the Martin fluoros and also the Fremont Blacklines.

Thanks for your advice!

I am currently in love with the Fremont Blacklines. Nice mellow sound.

I am currently in love with the Fremont Blacklines. Nice mellow sound.

I second that. I love the Mediums. Fluorocarbon strings just seem to produce a more natural tone. They also break in much more quickly than nylon strings and seem to be a lot less susceptible to changes in humidity. In Taiwan, the humidity is often off the charts.. When I had Aquilas on my ukulele, I was often frustrated at how often it went out of tune, even after the strings were stretched out. I've had 0 tuning problems with fluoros. That being said, Worth makes some great fluorocarbon strings also. The Martin M600s are a favorite in these forums too!

Good luck!

Medium tension? Someone said that the hard tension Blacklines are much better.

I only play sopranos. The Mediums work well for strumming/picking... I've heard that the hards are very well suited to fingerstyle playing. I've never personally tried the hards myself.

I like Worth browns for solid mahogany ukes and Aquilas for laminate-topped.

I like Worth browns for solid mahogany ukes and Aquilas for laminate-topped.

:agree: I use Aquilas on my laminates and Worth Brown's on my one solid, not sure what I'll use for a solid top laminate body one, but the Worth Browns are great on my KPK, just the sound I was looking for, really mellow...

My choices are Martins on my solid mahogany and so far the Aquilas sound good on my "slng" Kala laminate.

I recently put Worth Medium Browns on my Martin S-O and like the tone. I had previously had Martin Fluorocarbons and Nylguts on it and didn't care for either.

I have medium tension Blacklines but if you want brighter they may not be the way to go and I believe the harder tension are mellower and the thinner are brighter but someone with more experience than me can speak better on the subject. The Martin strings you mentioned I believe are brighter. If you want bright I am surprised you don't like the Aquila because I think of them as bright and I prefer a mellower sound.

Medium tension? Someone said that the hard tension Blacklines are much better.

Anyone wanna suggest me a new strings for my soprano? It's a solid mahogany with the Aquilas, and I kinda hate the sounds projected from them. Heard good things about the Martin fluoros and also the Fremont Blacklines.

Thanks for your advice!

Worth Clears! Mahogany is mellow, so you don't want a mellow string - the Worth clears will be snappy and articulate while the wood keeps it mellow - a great combination!

I've ordered worth browns for my Ohana SK35G soprano. I think aquilas are great for laminates, i fitted aquilas to my (stays at work) Tanglewood TU6, big improvement. I like more of the wood tone than the strings being the star.. if that makes sense.

I've ordered worth browns for my Ohana SK35G soprano. I think aquilas are great for laminates, i fitted aquilas to my (stays at work) Tanglewood TU6, big improvement. I like more of the wood tone than the strings being the star.. if that makes sense.

Update. The worths didn't work, back to aquila's.

Top Bottom