Strings please

mollski

Reaction score
HI can somebody tell me a good set of strings to get please,my uke came with a cheap set of nylon strings thank you

Don't know what kind of uke you have, but many people swear by Aquila Nylgut strings. I have them on my uke, and have restrung two ukes with them, and they're really nice.

depends on what kind of ukulele. if its a really cheap ukulele about 50-90 bucks then i would say aquilas. if your uke is above 100 you could try worth browns... little pricey though but i really like them on my luna tattoo concert.

I will also put in for the Aquila Nylgut strings. When I originally joined this site, I kept seeing people talking about them. Like other threads for other instruments, I just assumed it was more for brand recognition, or that someone famous used them, so everyone should. So, I didn't give these strings another though. Well, on a trip to Sam Ash, I played a uke strung up with the Aquila strings, and I instantly fell in love with them. So, instead of walking out with an instrument, I walked out with a set of strings. I strung up my Oscar Schmidt OU-2 with them, and it was a totally different instrument as far as sound and feel. My mom had me buy her a set for her uke (she has a pretty fancy Oscar Schmidt) and when I finally finish rebuilding my vintage uke, that one will also get the Aquila strings.

Of course, different strings sound differently on different instruments. It usually takes me 6 to 8 different sets of strings before I find the ones that will work on a particular instrument (I have 6 guitars, and all 6 use a different set of strings). But, I feel that Aquila strings will be a good start on your hunt for the best strings for your uke.

Dan

I'm a fan of Aquila Nylgut as well. I just don't like their wound low g string. I switched my stings lastnight to Worth Brown medium low g. I'm kinda missing the brightness of the Aquilas but I'll stick with the Browns for a little while till my Worth Clears come in to experiment with before I decide if I jump back to Aquilas.

I recall someone saying that Aquila was coming out with a unwound low g string? Is this just a rumor?

Depends what ukulele sound you prefer:

Loud and sassy: Aquila nylgut strings

Smooth with nice sustain: fluorocarbon strings like Martin, SouthCoast, Worth, or Fremont

Mellow and sweet: good nylon strings like D'Addario, Hilo, or Ko'olau Mahana

You can't go wrong with any of the strings above. See what your local shop's got in stock and have fun!

many thanks to everybody for your help and replys

An interesting option especially for a less expensive ukulele would be the Kala Reds. They are in the style of the worths but at a lower price point and will improve any ukulele with bad strings.

LOL I liked 2 and 4 the best... What do I know? For aesthetics, I like the black strings on my Kamaka but I guess, I'll look for GHS Hawaiian strings. I found the Aquila strings too trebley and to my ear, the worst of those four. I have two sets of Martins to try out first, then I'll compare the GHSs.

For the most part, the aquilas really help laminate instruments, which tend to be a little less responsive and bassy than solid tops. For soild top instruments, the strings mentioned above allow for more tone color variation. They are all good, but have slightly different "flavors". Visit the HMS link above, as the review is the best I've seen!

Top Bottom