PDA

View Full Version : Soft Sounding First String

rockstaravenue
08-28-2008, 04:51 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum.
I can't find anything related to the problem which I am facing now, hence the new thread.

The problem I face is a soft sounding first string.
When I play songs like the chorus of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", the part where you play the 14 0 11 0 chord, my first string doesn't seem to sound loud enough.
Same goes for the fast strumming ending part of "Blue Roses Falling", whereby there's the 0 2 0 2 notes off the first string, I can't seem to hear it...

Is it a problem with my strumming technique?

I appreciate any advice which you all can give me.

Thanks in advanced~!

Dane
08-28-2008, 06:07 AM
What kind of uke are you playing? And what strings?

rockstaravenue
08-28-2008, 04:17 PM
i'm playing a kamaka tenor ukulele with d addario pro arte tenor strings.

cMejilla
08-28-2008, 07:07 PM
when playing that high on the fretboard, it depends on the way you strum the strings. I'm guessing that the E-string is very prominent sounding when you play Gently Weeps during the fast part.

A simple remedy on that would be strum more towards the bridge of the uke rather than over the sound hole. It'll soften the louder, open strings and give more of a ring on the fretted strings.

rockstaravenue
08-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi cMeJilla

Yeah your suggestion actually works. By giving more room between the fret and the point when you strum, will actually make the volume louder.

Thanks for your tip~!

I think I'll also try to fine tune my downward strum.
I find that sometimes I am able to make the first string ring loud enough, even when I strum over the sound hole.

I appreciate any other advice that the others can give me too..

Peace~

cMejilla
08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
glad i could help. i had that problem when i first started out.