Flying W/ Uke?

rowjimmytour

Reaction score
During xmas I am going to fly to Costa Rica and was wondering if a uke (soprano KA-S) and hard soft case can be considered as a carry on for international flights? I also am worried about humidity and was checking out DIY humidifier for my uke and case. Is a tropical climate like Costa Rica (dry season mostly accept on Atlantic coast) a place where I would need one? By the way my uke lives in Southern California w/ me so I have never needed one so far or a least I don't think so. Thanks in advance for any input :)

When I flew United a couple weeks ago, they let me carry on my tenor. I'm geussing it'll vary depending on what airline you fly though.

During xmas I am going to fly to Costa Rica and was wondering if a uke (soprano KA-S) and hard soft case can be considered as a carry on for international flights? I also am worried about humidity and was checking out DIY humidifier for my uke and case. Is a tropical climate like Costa Rica (dry season mostly accept on Atlantic coast) a place where I would need one? By the way my uke lives in Southern California w/ me so I have never needed one so far or a least I don't think so. Thanks in advance for any input :)

Do a search and you will find many threads on flying and the different airline regulations.
My practice is to carry my uke, but I use a hard shell case just in case it gets gate checked.

Alright great info so far and I yes I checked the airline Lasca/Taca and it looks like no problem:
Musical Instruments
These can be checked in the hold or be carried as hand luggage, or you can occupy a seat. Only one musical instrument is permitted per passenger and luggage.
No extra charge for musical instruments that meet the following requirements apply:
Maximum weight must not exceed 22lbs/10kg
Maximum outer dimensions are 45plgs/114.3cm (length + height + width).
Musical instrument occupying seat:
You must pay an additional adult fare in your own cabin. Remember that you are entitled to 2 additional items in your checked baggage. To transport your instrument in a seat in your cabin, you must meet the following requirements:
Maximum weight must not exceed 165.3lbs/75kg.
Maximum height must not exceed 80inches/203.2cm.
The musical instrument must be secured in the seat with a seat belt, otherwise it must travel with the other luggage.
Musical instrument as checked baggage:
The instrument can count as one of the pieces allowed in your baggage allowance - if it meets the weight and size restrictions (see baggage policy). In addition, the packaging must ensure protection of the instrument for its normal use. It can also be checked as an extra piece, in addition to the free baggage allowance, subject to space. If the passenger has excess baggage and checks a musical instrument as one of the free allowed pieces, it shall be subject to oversized and / or overweight charges.
But I really wanted to hear other folks experience traveling w/ uke and specially want to know if I need a humidifier or more to help preserve my uke. I am not sure if I will have the extra $$ (Sorry uke friends but surfboards come first and surfing) but I would like to get a dolphin uke or some thing cheap like that for this trip and for the car. My Ka-s did not cost a arm and leg but I love it and would like to take good care of it.

Some ukulele players have purposefully traveled with inexpensive ukes to leave behind for the benefit and enjoyment of the locals. Gives motivation to the idea of sharing the ukulele aloha wherever and whenever....

Just sayin'

keep uke'in',

I carried a concert uke in a gig bag as a carry on to Bolivia, and a tenor in a hard case as a carry on to Germany, I didn't have problems either way.

Fly with mine all the time all around the world. Key is tying to keep down to two carry-on's. Most airlines overheads will fit a tenor hard case no problem. If not the flight attendants are usually nice enough to put in their closet.

Only thing I do is de-tune the strings quite a bit to allow for any pressure or temp changes.

Many times when I carry on an instrument it begins a conversation with someone curious to what is in the case.........

Top Bottom