Anyone try the Islander Ukes from Kanilea?

Ataraxia

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the solid-mahogany soprano model. Has anyone had a chance to try one in person? They look really nice (aside from the headstock decal), I really like the soundhole inlay. I think it's cool that they also use the same nut spacing as the Kanilea models.

Anyway, the nut/saddle are both nu-bone. Any opinion on the tonal quality of nu-bone vs. real bone? I've seen videos and other promotional material that advertised the improved transfer of tone and boasted that the nu-bone material was superior. Is nu-bone actually more dense than the real deal? I'm not being picky btw, just curious :D.

Finally, how do they stack up to brands like Mainland, Ohana, etc; that are similarly priced?

Thanks for your input in advance!

I've been eyeing the solid-mahogany soprano model. Has anyone had a chance to try one in person? They look really nice (aside from the headstock decal), I really like the soundhole inlay.
Finally, how do they stack up to brands like Mainland, Ohana, etc; that are similarly priced?

I played a concert Islander mahogany model at Acoustic Vibes today, and was surprised at how good it sounded, especially at that price (25 % off list)and compared to Kalas, Lanikais, and Ohanas that I have played.
But, the headstock decal is abysmal, and abalone inlay is a deal killer for my tastes... I'd go for a Mainland based on the reviews from all their fans on this forum.

Top Bottom