$300 To Spend

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Hello Ukers,

I have three bills to spend on a tenor. Electric is not desired and I want it to come setup. Any suggestions appreciated.

Here's one option:

Islander Tenor

I played it yesterday, and I thought it played and sounded quite nice for $230 bucks. It's solid Mahogany with some bling like I think it has tortoise binding, and satin finish. He'll probably send you pictures if you want.

I agree.....you couldn't buy a solid mahogany Kala or Lanikai for that price and I doubt they sound as good as the Islander.

Hello Ukers,

I have three bills to spend on a tenor. Electric is not desired and I want it to come setup. Any suggestions appreciated.

Might not be the answer you asked but it is the one I will give. Save up some more money.

I'm very happy with my Lanikai ST tenor. Solid spruce top. Has a nice deeper tone, but still bright. Best I can explain it anyhow. They are new for around $170 with Aquila strings already on it. Just gotta get a nice case for it.

Dan

Might not be the answer you asked but it is the one I will give. Save up some more money.

+1. Seems like you've been playing a while. Get another $300-400 and get something seriously good. Save up another $800 and get something special. Or save another $1700 and e-mail Chuck Moore. ;)

Thanks for the input folks. I would like to grab an Islander but I can not seem to find the darn thing in stock anywhere that does a setup. AFAIK Hawaiian Music Supply and Uke Republic seems to be the only ones doing setups now.

Check with Mim also - I think she does set ups, but don't know which brands she carries.

-kurt

I suggest looking at the solid mahogany top, solid top b/s from ohana. you might be able to find one under retail price. plus i emailed them and they said they do the setups themselves before shipping to their dealers.

Walk in to Appalachian Bluegrass on Frederick Road and play the Lanikai Curly Koa tenor. If memory serves me correctly it's under $300 and they are set up and play well. I have played all of them in the series and own the baritone.

Hey. Since we are all here for a very good reason.....the UU staff and its website, why not take a chance on a Kamoa from their store? They swear by them and swears the quality is as good as ukulele twice the price. Hit up Aaron, Aldrine or Ryan. Ask em.

I too would recommend Mainland. Either their solid mahogany or the cedar/rosewood is under $300. Comes set up either from Mainland or UkeRepublic.

I already have a mainland mahog on the way. I kicked my budget to the curb and ordered a pono and kala thinline. Oh well ya only live once lol. Thanks for all the input folks.

Top Bottom