PDA

View Full Version : fat fingers

bongo dave
08-19-2011, 09:34 PM
anyone come up with a solution for stubby finger ends touching the next string? Apart from anything surgical that is.
I have wondered about some sort of sleeve that one could slip to make the finger end slimmer. Anything at all? :o

RawrGazzawrs
08-19-2011, 11:05 PM
cut those fingernails and try to keep the tips only on the fretboard.
what size uke is it?

Nixon
08-20-2011, 02:09 AM
Practice fingering, eventually you won't touch adjoining strings. Enough practice means you can do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNxwYrUzrUQ
Either that or get a uke with a wider neck.

marymac
08-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Fretboard widths vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, I've read that Kalas have a narrower fretboard than Mainlands. If you have any music stores near you go try a couple different brands. Also practice definitely helps since the calluses will build up where the finger presses the string.

bornagainjeeper
08-21-2011, 01:27 PM
I've got some stubby sausage fingers as well (or banger fingers for ya'll over the pond) My take on it is....as far as room for your fingers, uke is actually one of the easiest things to place in the guitar family. The room per string is actually greater than that of most guitars....and bass requires a lot of power and finger conditioning to keep the strings from buzzing. When you are playing make sure your fingers are arched up like a scared cat, it feels VERY awkward at first, but learning this early is the key to success. It will come in time. The arch allows the other strings to ring free and clear without interference from the other fingers, no matter the amount of pudgy pottage we wear on our hands. So unless your fingerpads are shaped like a tree frog, i reckon a little arch will keep you sounded just fine. It becomes most challenging on chords like D and E where those "Stacked up" finger shapes make the arching more difficult, if that case, move you strumming arm's elbow away from your torso and out like you were gunna flap your wings, in turn causing your wrist to rotate and make arching and aligning easier. Best of Luck ALEX

Fadedpent
08-23-2011, 03:29 AM
Im pretty new to the uke and I've had similar issues due to my fat fingers. I deffinately agree with bornagainjeeper in that its all about practicing that arch. When i first started i was learning on my gfs soprano uke and it was terribly difficult so i baught myself a concert uke. After a month of playing i find that i can do just find on either instrument. Its all about practice. Train them sausages! Lol

chiefnoda
08-23-2011, 05:07 AM
Hi Dave

Aside from practicing, a couple of things might help

(a) Proper set-up on your ukulele. Make sure that the action (string heights) is low. The less struggle you have to fret a string, the easier. And it's less likely that your finger accidentally tuch the other strings.

(b) Posture. When you are a beginner, you tend to lean over and look at the fingerboard. By doing so, you fretting fingers come in at an angle (ideally, a finger should be perpendicular to fretboard) and end up touching the adjacent string. Also, holding the ukulele higher helps you to achieve a better "finger angle"

(c) Ukulele size? A tenor is easier dimensionally, I think.

Happy Pickin
Chief