glyph, pono, kamaka, kanilea

uke142464

Reaction score
so this is another post based on the deal that my mom is willing to get me a solid koa uke for a christmas/birthday present (she still needs to talk to my dad though) so it isnt finalized yet but i need help.
for my birthday im going to take trip down to annapolis to visit the guy who does glyph ukuleles, to get to maybe play some ukes and i dont know, but i need to set that up with him. but i need opinions on this, i need to know what you guys think sounds best tonewize out of glyph, pono, kamaka, or kanilea, and if you have any other brands to recommend or specfic models go ahead any help is appreciated:D

Choice

uke,

Since you are traveling to Annapolis, maybe you can swing by Rob Deel's Ukulele Shop in Amelia, VA? Here is his eBay site: http://stores.ebay.com/ukulele4u.

You need to email/contact him directly and not just look at his listing since he has stuff he doesn't advertise and you are looking at an intermediate to higher end range in your choices. He is very nice and knows his ukes. It can't hurt to try! He'll be very up front if he doesn't have what you are looking for.

I got my Kanile'a concert K-1 from him and am very happy with the sound and the playability. Can't wait to play it every day. But if you can actually handle instruments at a number of places, that is best.

Good luck!

Craig Turner

yea thats what i remeber reading.

I like the sound of the Koaloha's over the Pono's, I haven't played the others listed and I have been only playin 3 months and only play Jimmy Buffett songs... So what do I know!!!!

Glyph is indeed a 3 year wait, so that's probably out of the question.
I'm assuming the budget is around $1k. I would suggest getting a Kamaka. The reasoning is that, if for some reason, you don't like it enough and wish to try a Kanile'a or another brand instead, a Kamaka should be the easiest one to sell.
Another good way to go would be to get an MP ukulele. By all accounts it sounds like Mike Pereira has the fastest turnaround time of any custom built ukes. And based on the one MP tenor I've tried, it's the real deal. I'd take it above the Hawaiian factory made ukes such as Kamaka or Kanile'a (and I think the Hawaiian factory made ukes are great).

I've have a Kanilea tenor with the UV gloss finish and have tried Kamaka tenors including Aldrines and some really fancily decorated ones at the factory. I have no personal experience with pono or glyph. But if you're looking for the best tone, I'd have to reccomend the Kanilea tenor sound monster. My UV finished Kanilea, in my opinion has a better tone than Kamaka HF3s (although "better" is very subjective, as I like the punchyness and resonance, and other people might like another sort of tone.) But the sound monster really is a sound monster. Thinking back on it, I really should have bought the limited edition one that they made for the Roy Sakuma ukulele festival this year. Now, I regret not doing that.

I have a Kanile'a tenor and a concert. I'm very pleased with them. I much prefer them to Ponos. I have never tried a Kamaka.

KEN

Like GX, I'd recommend an MP do to his variety of wood styles and options along with the quick build time (about 1-2 months, which is the fastest I've ever seen for a uke).

If not, a Kamaka would probably be one of the safer choices that fits the tail-end of your budget due to its overall good reviews and reputation among its players.

I like the sound of the Koaloha's over the Pono's, I haven't played the others listed and I have been only playin 3 months and only play Jimmy Buffett songs... So what do I know!!!!
Aha! another parrothead....I had a feeling about you.......do you know sailquest? Maybe we should start a parrothead thread. I have ALL his songs.....

You should make a list of things you want from your uke and not a list of potential names - that way you can remain open minded. Personally if you don't know your own mind (and I'm not suggesting this) then buy a Kamaka - it will hold it's value as a 'name'. However, if you do the list thing you wont ever need to sell your instrument on will you?

I agree with everyone that recommended Kamaka because it'll hold its value if you choose to sell it somewhere down the line. It's the same reason I tell semi-serious guitarists to pick up a used Gibson; it'll pretty much always be worth $600+...although Kamaka's instruments are wayyyy more consistent. ;) I don't think you'd be disappointed at all with a Kamaka.

But this doesn't answer the question does it? You should be confident that what you buy is what you want - hedging your bets iks a poor form of decision making.

Each ukulele you mentioned will have a different sound and from there it's just a matter of preference. I've played everything except a Glyph (Dave Means) and I'll have to take the word of whoever has one on how it sounds. The wait list is long and every bit worth the cost provided you have the patience and UAS doesn't set in. Your best bet for a grand would be a Mike Pereira ukulele as GX suggested.

On a personal note, I still want a Kamaka and I'll find one used or new, eventually. In the meanwhile, my next uke will be an MP.

Last edited:
You should make a list of things you want from your uke and not a list of potential names - that way you can remain open minded. Personally if you don't know your own mind (and I'm not suggesting this) then buy a Kamaka - it will hold it's value as a 'name'. However, if you do the list thing you wont ever need to sell your instrument on will you?

i already did that in another post lol, but i listed bad stuff....
allright, so heres what i want
bright sound but less then spruce, deep tone? (best way to put it) soft attack, good volume, playability, kinda sounds like jakes or aldrines lol:D help is once again appreciated

i already did that in another post lol, but i listed bad stuff....
allright, so heres what i want
bright sound but less then spruce, deep tone? (best way to put it) soft attack, good volume, playability, kinda sounds like jakes or aldrines lol:D help is once again appreciated

They both play Kamakas. Problem solved.

uke,

Since you are traveling to Annapolis, maybe you can swing by Rob Deel's Ukulele Shop in Amelia, VA? Here is his eBay site: http://stores.ebay.com/ukulele4u.

You need to email/contact him directly and not just look at his listing since he has stuff he doesn't advertise and you are looking at an intermediate to higher end range in your choices. He is very nice and knows his ukes. It can't hurt to try! He'll be very up front if he doesn't have what you are looking for.

I got my Kanile'a concert K-1 from him and am very happy with the sound and the playability. Can't wait to play it every day. But if you can actually handle instruments at a number of places, that is best.

Good luck!

Craig Turner

I agree with Craig that Rob Deel is another good source to check out. If you decide to visit his shop be sure to call first. He has a regular day job and usually has his shop open only on weekends. It would be worth a phone call just to ask some of your questions and get his opinion. For planning purposes, if you decide to make the trip, his uke shop is about 3 hours south from Annapolis. (about 30 minutes south of Richmond)

How do you know what Jake's ukulele sounds like? He processes his sound:eek: You could achieve the same by getting a good quality chinese uke with a pickup and a darned good sound processor. That would be my route if I was copying sound...

I haven't heard Jake's current uke in person, but was able to hear his older slothead Kamaka. The Kamaka had very clear trebles, good tone and resonance. If you can, I think it's key if you can play the instrument before you buy it, that way you choose exactly what you want. There are variations, even within a brand, especially at the production level. Good luck on your search.

Top Bottom