Collings

delray48209

Reaction score
Anyone have any personal experience regarding the Collings UC1 ukulele and can give a short review? Buld, sound, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Frank
St Louis

I have a Collings UC-1K. It is the nicest ukulele I have ever played or owned. Build quality 10. Sound 10. Playability 10.

Last edited:
I've played a UC-1. It was spectacular. Construction was impeccable and polished. I couldn't find anything wrong; the attention to detail was unreal, like it was built in a laboratory. It's full and rich sounding, if not a little brash, something I attribute to the Aquila strings that were on it. I would have preferred some fluorocarbons. I did find the comparisons to Martin concerts a little off the mark, however. Collings concerts sound different to me - less ping, but fuller and more even. What I mean is don't buy a Collings because you want a Martin but want something new. Buy a Collings because its a great sounding, extraordinarily built instrument. I played the Collings side-by-side with an array of high-quality ukuleles. Nothing else in the store could top it, in my opinion. A Scott Wise koa concert was pretty darn good though. The clerk told me that the only instruments he thought would likely please me as much if not "Moore" were Moore Bettahs. Of course, there were none of these in stock. Boo!

I can't imagine being disappointed with a Collings (with the exception of the I-really-want-a-Martin matter). Highly recommended.

The UC-1K is a fantastic instrument if you are looking at Koa and the Mohagany is stunning as well. The craftsmanship is so tight, it's a seamless looking uke where the sides and top just melt together as one.
I am the proud owner of the 16th UC-K3 which is extremely rare and I am blessed I got a new one. I looked hard at the Hawaiian ukes but Collings is just so incredible in their workmanship I decided to go with my heart and I am glad I did.
I'm going to get a UC-1K next because it's a completely different sounding uke but is one I want in my collection for sure. If you want rich deep sound that is less traditional sounding the UC-1 in Mohagany is the way to go. If you want that more traditional sound and a punchier brighter sounding instrument (compared to Mohagany) then the Koa is a good choice.

I have photos of my UC-3k at http://www.jaygoldbergphotography.com in the Galleries section under Portraits/Ukuleles if you want to see the UC-3k. There are also some shots online but they are small so I took these for a better look.
The flaming Koa moves in the light and is one single piece of wood, not book matched which I just love. They are surprisingly light. The price is definitely up there but it is worth absolutely every penny to me.

Cheers
Jay

Collings is one of the best sounding and built ukes on the market that I have played and owned. I agree with what has been said so far. I do not believe you will be disappointed with one.

Outstanding ukes, and the mahogany ones are not unreasonably priced, given the quality. I only wish they made sopranos. Anybody ever seen a Collings soprano?

A beautiful, craftsman instrument. If they made a soprano it would already be in my collection.

They don't make one. I was going to call them and ask them if they could make one for me....maybe I'll get lucky but not betting on it. They may even be starting to make them and NAMM is coming up in LA early 2012 so maybe we'll be blessed and see the Soprano released. That would be killer!

Outstanding ukes, and the mahogany ones are not unreasonably priced, given the quality. I only wish they made sopranos. Anybody ever seen a Collings soprano?

I don't think you'll find anyone who doesn't praise the Collings ukes. Mine has a special place in my stable of ukes. It deserves its own reserved spot!

yeah, I agree with Allen. They are as light as a feather to play and so beautifully balanced. Great volume and projection and the sweetest, warmest tones. I owned a custom concert for ages and regret selling it in a big way.

I gotta say that it would be very difficult to build a nicer Uke. I have tried to find a single fault in mine and haven't yet. Collings are amazing. The fit and finish is astonishing. You cannot go wrong. Light and super resonant. Warm and very distinct sound. You will love it. Go for it.

I just sent a UC2K back to a store in favor of a UT1K. I loved how warm and sweet it was but I ended up wanting more power. If I could afford another I would have kept it.

You won't be sacrificing anything in terms of tone by going with the less appointed UC1, they sound just as good as the more expensive models.

Another thing to consider is the fantastic customer service offered by Collings. They have a serious interest in the products they send out into the world.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Collings ukes won't accept a typical under saddle pickup because the saddle slot isn't deep enough and/or there wasn't enough string tension for an under saddle transducer. That's a bummer if it's true.

I had a UC-2K for 2 years. I didn't like the skinny neck, radiused fretboard, and "brittle" sound. I sold it after I purchased a Moore Bettah concert.

Top Bottom