headstock always wants to dip/fall when switching chords...

sbpark

Reaction score
i'm having trouble transitioning from playing an open chord to a barre chord on the ukulele. when i try to transition from the open chord to the barre chord the headstock always wants to fall. with a guitar you are wearing a strap which holds the guitar up, but with the uke there is nothing keeping the headstock up. am i the only one this is happening to? and i am holding the ukulele correctly, sort of tucked up under my arm, and cradling it with my bicep. any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to get a strap button installed and use a strap! It makes chord changes so much easier.

i dont want to drill a hole for a strap button on my koaloha! just wondering if this is a common thing or am a doing something wrong?

i dont want to drill a hole for a strap button on my koaloha!

I know the feeling well. I said that about my first Kamaka; now I've had holes drilled in all of them :) Before I gave in to the strap, I could only play sitting down, balancing my uke on my lap.

I think it's a common thing. Almost all of the players I know use straps; there are a few who don't but I don't think any two of them hold their ukes in the same way.

I know the feeling well. I said that about my first Kamaka; now I've had holes drilled in all of them :) Before I gave in to the strap, I could only play sitting down, balancing my uke on my lap.

I think it's a common thing. Almost all of the players I know use straps; there are a few who don't but I don't think any two of them hold their ukes in the same way.

ok, i thought i was missing something, but guess not. yes, when sitting down it's not a problem.

You are not alone. A strap button and strap would give you full support. The other choices are a Uke Thong/ Classical Guitar style hook system and the Uke Leash. A uke thong is worn like a lanyard around your neck, and has a hook that comes from underneath and hooks on the bottom edge of the sound hole. It's balance is in the center of the uke, so if the neck is diving it doesn't help there. The Uke Leash attaches at the headstock, and you lightly support the body of the uke with your strumming arm. It keeps the neck in place. It really depends on your playing style which one will work best for you. I am partial to the Uke Leash :) for obvious reasons.
–Lori

A good luthier can install a strap button painlessly and without damaging your instrument, but if you don't want to drill a hole in your ukulele for a strap button, then I would highly recommend the Uke Leash. It really helped me to have something support the neck of my ukulele other than my fretting hand, which was then free to learn how to transition from one chord to another. People who don't use any support have found a way to support the weight of their ukuleles by wedging the ukulele's body it between their bodies and the elbow of their strumming hands, but learning how to do that is a whole separate skill. Even Jake Shimabukuro now uses a uke thong, and he's even modified his really expensive Kamaka ukulele by devising a way to attach the strap to the ukulele with velcro.

Agree with everyone...at the end of the day you want the uke to sing and it's hard when it's constantly falling / dipping. I've put one in a Koaloha and a Kamaka and the only regret was why did I wait so long (that's the same answer I had for my lasik surgery)

I'm still waiting for pics for a strap button on a Koaloha Sceptre...not sure where to put it

Sometimes the weight of the headstock can make that a problem. That i s the big reason folks like peg tuners in instead of geared tuners.

But that being said, you have to develop a technique where your strumming/picking arm is holding the uke (wearing slick cloths and long sleeves makes this harder) and your fretting hand semi supports the neck during chord changes.

I'll use the 1st joint of my index finger (where it leaves the hand) and thumb to support the neck during changes to open chords. Sometimes I will use the U between the thumb and index when sliding up the neck. I can even play my baritone (it has geared tuners) with no strap standing. It's a joint effort between the left hand an right arm.

i'm having trouble transitioning from playing an open chord to a barre chord on the ukulele. when i try to transition from the open chord to the barre chord the headstock always wants to fall.
I struggled with the slipping headstock problem for weeks before I bought a Uke Leash--you don't see a lot of straps in ukulele videos, so I was sure I was doing something wrong. The Uke Leash made huge difference for me, and I only wish I had acted sooner!

I have two Uke Leashes. They are perfect. Lori even adjusted them for me at the Reno Uke Fest. I chose a leather one for mu KoAloha and a brown nylon one for my Pineapple Flea. Not only are they functional, they look great! Thanks Lori!
Joe

I hate straps.
I use a classical guitar footstool.. It might not look very trendy, but it works really well for me.

If you're not into drilling a hole in your uke, here are a couple no-strap tips:

(a) Use your thumb to support the neck during chord changes. The idea is to let the uke's neck rest on your thumb, rather than using your thumb to grip the neck. This can be a tricky adjustment to make.

(b) Use "glissando"---form a barre chord at the first (or second) fret, slide it up the neck to the correct position as you strike the chord. When you do this well, the chord will glide into position, in rhythm. This is a pretty effect, and you'll keep a firm grip on your uke's neck.

It took me a long time (like a year) to learn to switch chords without letting the headstock drop. Eventually, I found a workable combination of holding the uke with my strumming arm while also using my fretting hand to support the neck (sometimes with my thumb, sometimes with my palm). Be sure to play standing up for a few minutes every time you play uke; hopefully, your combination will reveal itself a little more quickly than mine did. And have fun!!

Top Bottom