PDA

View Full Version : Lori Espanol !!! Flame Maple/Koa binding/ Spruce top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gl8121
08-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Hello, I have been playing on this ukulele for about 2-3 months. It is a Lori Espanol (Small custom builder with maples starting at about $400) All of her ukes can be ordered customized from wood to inlays! This is a solid Flamed maple back and sides with Koa binding and a spuce top!!!

Features

Solid Spruce top, Flamed maple back and sides, with Koa binding
Mahogony neck
16 frets
Hand rubbed oil finish
Tenor size
Bridge is rosewood
Tuners are closed gear chrome with Chrome buttons.
Fretboard is rosewood with dot inlay markers
Nut and Saddle are both bone
Headstock is rosewood on top and back with mahagony center

Sound

It has a very bright happy maple sound! With the maple back and sides it has a very nice bright/happy sound with very fine projection.
Intonation is very very good for a small independent builder!
No electronics

Action, Fit & Finish

The action: I did have to set up this uke. The action to start with was Horrible. However with a quick sanding of the saddle and an adjustment to the nut the action is just where I like it. Leveling of the frets was not needed!!!!

Very nice book matched front and back that were properly joined

Bridge seems to be well made

Frets are a little bigger/wider than normal but easy to get use to as I was first a guitar player.

Overall Rating

I have been playing ukulele for about a 2 years, guitar for 19 years.
I also own a Locals soprano ukulele, a vietnam acacia tenor ukulele, Lanikai AAA Koa concert, Kala Tenor Acacia, Lori Espanol maple tenor, Zircote custom Tenor, Taylor, Yairi, gibson, Paul Reed Smith, and fender guitars

This Lori Espanol Uke reminds me of a tiny Spanish classical guitar! From the headstock right down to the bridge. If you are a fan of the maple/spruce combo you would love this uke! Very happy/Bright sound. I really like the dual front and back rosewood cap headstock. The Koa binding with the maple back/sides and spruce top is also a very very nice combo!

Down falls: Not setup properly. Other than that very very little. I would give the overall build a 9/10. Excellent from a small/independent builder.

Final Thoughts

Great Flamed maple uke with a very bright sound with good projection! My favorite feature is the Koa binding with flamed maple! Reminds me of a small Spanish classical guitar. I dont think I would ever sell because it would be very difficult to get another one and probably with a very long wait time!2724627247272482724927250

kaizersoza
08-21-2011, 01:05 AM
nice little uke, i've got a kala flamed maple with spruce top, at first i found the sound too bright but it is starting to grow on me, that to was'nt set up properly i get a buzz from the A and C strings but i think the bridge needs sanding down, the only problem is i have'nt got the experience to try it at the moment, anyway keep enjoying your uke

kaizer

KimosTherapy
08-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Nice uke! How about a sound sample or video sample?

Gl8121
10-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I have been thinking about doing some video samples of some ukes. I just need to figure out how to do some simple editing. I have also been thinking about selling this one to raise some funds for a mya-moe but have not made up my mind yet. Dang my UAS!