Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain- In Berlin

MisterRios

Reaction score
The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain played in Berlin two nights ago, and my girlfriend and I took my sister and her daughter to the show as a special treat for their visit.

My girlfriend thought they were going to play old jazz standards, but they surprised almost everyone in the audience by playing modern songs like "Teenage Dirtbag", "Anarchy in the UK", "Psycho Killer", and "Life on Mars".

The most awesome thing was that I had brought my binoculars- we had assigned seats, and I had no idea where we would end up- and I was able to watch the fretting, strumming and fingerpicking of not just one, but seven live ukuleles (not counting the "ukulele bass). I kept noticing individual chords, and was able to count a Gibson, two Kalas, a Bushman and a very vintage Martin.

The show was hilarious, with lots of humor, dry and otherwise. One of the members kept introducing every song as "another one by the great Karlheinz Stockhausen". And they even played "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones- all of them on one uke.

20110819-_MG_0186.jpg

They were really friendly, and, after the show, they stood around the merch table signing CDs DVDs and ukuleles. They also offered to talk ukes with anyone afterwards, but I didn't know what I would say, so I just went around getting my DVD autographed.

Tickets were not so cheap- partly because it was part of the Audi Open Air Klassik- a series of classical music concerts, but it was well, well worth it.

Top Bottom