Kamaka Tenor or bust...

GKK

Reaction score
I just had a disappointing realization...

Since learning the Ukulele, I've always bought quality brands such as Kala and Pono (used) not wanting to ever spend more than $300 just because I never wanted to be selfish wth this hobby over my family priorities.

I always bought or looked at affordable quality solid wood Tenor alternatives such as Kala's and Kanile'a Islander but, what I always come back to is the Kamaka HF3 Tenor! This Ukulele is Awesome! I like the Koa Wood, Head stock design and logo, simple bridge design, company reputation and sound!...

I just realized I will never spend the money to buy a Kamaka (just feel guilty spending so, much when I could use the money for vacations or helping out one of my grown kids). I own a very nice Kala Tenor spruce top which I like a lot but, just doesn't have that Kamaka tone.

My dream is to go to a garage sale and find a used Kamaka tenor the owner knows nothing about and buy it for a few bucks! Even then, I'll probably feel guilty and tell the owner what it's really worth.

My wife and I are going to Oahu next month to celebrate our 25th wedding Anniversary and I know she'll let me buy whatever Ukulele I want but, I'm just going to stick to window shopping and being happy with what I have.

Does anyone else feel this way?...

Last edited:
I just had a disappointing realization...

Since learning the Ukulele, I've always bought quality brands such as Kala and Pono (used) not wanting to ever spend more than $300 just because I never wanted to be selfish wth this hobby over my family priorities.

I always bought or looked at affordable quality solid wood Tenor alternatives such as Kala's and Kanile'a Islander but, what I always come back to is the Kamaka HF3 Tenor! This Ukulele is Awesome! I like the Koa Wood, Head stock design and logo, simple bridge design, company reputation and sound!...

I just realized I will never spend the money to buy a Kamaka (just feel guilty spending so, much when I could use the money for vacations or something with the family). I own a very nice Kala Tenor spruce top which I like a lot but, just doesn't have that Kamaka tone.

My dream is to go to a garage sale and find a used Kamaka tenor the owner knows nothing about and buy it for a few bucks! Even then, I'll probably feel guilty and tell the owner what it's really worth.

My wife and I are going to Oahu next month to celebrate our 25th wedding Anniversary and I know she'll let me buy whatever Ukulele I want but, I'm just going to stick to window shopping and being happy with what I have.

Does anyone else feel this way?...

NOOO!!! I used to feel like that with everything I purchased after getting married but I realized the joy I get playing is multilplied by my wife's joy in listening. Secondly, I've sold many of my past interests and in essence, I didn't spend new money...at least not yet. For ME, ukes are cheaper than guitars and camera equipment so my wife can't complain. LOL

Is the uke your passion now or just a hobby? Have you had many hobbies in the past that didn't last? What expensive toys do you have that you can sell to decrease the guilt of purchasing a high quality uke?

Congrats on your 25th! With all the instruments available in the 50th, not buying anything is gonna be quite difficult and I'm sure you'll have fun window shopping. Just my dos cents, something is gonna leap at ya and resistance will be futile. Over the past couple years, I had a number of chances to get a Kamaka HF-3 and recently, finally got one. During that time I also did my share of window shopping and ran across many instruments I would've loved to have. Coulda, shoulda, woulda . . . just the way things go.

I think it's everyone's dream to find a gem at a garage/rummage sale and the owner not knowing or having any knowledge of the item. If that ever happened to me, I don't know what I'd do. Seriously . . .

Thanks, for the congrats.

The Ukulele is my passion and I will never stop learning/playing it. Once I start something I usually stick with it.

I've bought expensive motorcycle's and other things in the past only to sell them later due to finally listening to my wife and not wanting to risk hurting myself. I could sell my Getzen silver plated Trumpet but, my dad bought me that when I was in high school and it has sentimental value.

For now, I'll just enjoy listening to others with Kamaka's and enjoy the chase of finding an inexpensive used one.

I felt the exact same way especially with a four year old. I always put things I wanted on the back burner to buy stuff for my son instead, or like you, things that would benefit my whole family. On our vacation to Kauai (I bought a time-share when I was still single), I was in Larry's music experiencing Kamaka envy so much so that I had one picked out that I would purchase when my teacher salary magically increased. A beautiful curly koa. The next day I came back to our room after swimming with my son for a few hours to find the ukulele propped up on the bed, basking in all it's K brand glory. The note on the fret-bored was from my wife and son saying how much they appreciated that I always put them before my own personal wants. The letter lives in the case of the BEST Kamaka HF-3 EVER, and I think about it every time I play.

I'm pretty sure you can buy it without guilt.

-Gary

I felt the exact same way especially with a four year old. I always put things I wanted on the back burner to buy stuff for my son instead, or like you, things that would benefit my whole family. On our vacation to Kauai (I bought a time-share when I was still single), I was in Larry's music experiencing Kamaka envy so much so that I had one picked out that I would purchase when my teacher salary magically increased. A beautiful curly koa. The next day I came back to our room after swimming with my son for a few hours to find the ukulele propped up on the bed, basking in all it's K brand glory. The note on the fret-bored was from my wife and son saying how much they appreciated that I always put them before my own personal wants. The letter lives in the case of the BEST Kamaka HF-3 EVER, and I think about it every time I play.

I'm pretty sure you can buy it without guilt.

-Gary

What a wonderful story.

I just got my Kamaka HF-3 a few weeks ago. I felt the same way as you. I was able to find a used one on ebay that I got for about $800. A little risky since I wasn't able to play it in advance, but I am very happy with it. I was in Honolulu last week and went to several stores looking at Kamakas. When you're there check out The Ukebox located
in Pacific Beach Hotel, Waikiki and is owned by Jake Shimabukuro's brother Bruce Shimabukuro. I would also go to the the uke store located in the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
That store had a couple really nice HF-3s.
Congrats on the 25th and have fun in HI and get a Kamaka and sing Don Williams "You're my best friend" to your wife in Hono.

I used to think exactly like this, then I found that KoAloha Sceptre and suddenly it all made sense.

Besides, I'm not *purchasing* ukes, I'm investing in them - I go busking and have paid gigs (not many, but still...), so they're paying their way at least.

Go and get what you lust for - at least if you get it and it's not what you're after, you'll sleep easy afterwards. It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved before, right?

Since I have taken up the ukulele, I have never thought that way. I have always placed my kids interests and needs before mine. But now I treat myself to uke purchases without guilt, but only because I can afford it. I have not taken a vacation in 4 years, but that is about to change also.

We live in such a guilt ridden society that when we treat ourselves to something nice, we have second thoughts about it. Why? Anyting that improves my mental being helps my family out by alowing me to be a better provider and Father.

If you can afford it, go for it. If not, then I'm sure the Kala will be just fine.

Yes, yes, yes---go looking for ukes in Hawaii! And don't just go window-shopping!

My husband and I went there on vacation, and looking for a special one to bring home became a theme of the trip. (See this thread: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?48570-My-Hawaiian-Uke-Hunt&highlight=i'iwi). But an additional benefit of the uke focus on our trip was that it rekindled my own interest.

I'd been a beginner player for several months before my husband eclipsed me--he has an ear, plus more talent and musicality than I'll ever have and I couldn't play Camptown Races when he was finger-picking Stardust. But after our uke-search vacation, I started playing again and bought a Pono mahogany soprano. I just went into another room and played what I could, even though I couldn't keep an even tempo. But they're not kidding when they say that practice helps. (So does Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp!) Now, three months later, my strumming is better, I've got a good many chords memorized, and I can sing in tune with a few songs in the key of C.

I adore the unusual and special concert uke my husband found on that trip, and I love to hear him play it and see how happy it makes him. A quality instrument is a wonderful 25th-anniversary present, and I think you should consider buying one. Kamakas are great, but there are many fine tenors, so look widely...you might be surprised.

When in Oahu next month, I'm not even sure if I want to take the Kamaka factory tour, because the pressure might be to much for me too, handle!...

Yes, GT3T11 I've enjoyed reading your very informative and thorough uke shopping experience, thank you for posting it. I find if any store has a bad vibe, I won't purchase anything there even if it's exactly what I want.

We stayed at the Pacific Beach hotel in 2005 but, I don't think the UkeBox was there yet. I would've liked to meet Bruce or Jake!

Thanks, for all the encouraging words!...

Last edited:
When in Oahu next month, I'm not even sure if I want to take the Kamaka factory tour, because the pressure might be to much for me too, handle!...

Thanks, for all the encouraging words!...

The factory tour is pretty safe when it comes to temptation: you can't actually walk out with a uke in hand. Oh yeah, you can *order* one and get it in a month or so, but somehow that isn't the same.

When I took the tour in February I fell in love with the little pineapple uke they had on display. I begged and pleaded for them to sell it to me, but they wouldn't budge.

I ended up buying one a couple months later at a shop close to home, but that's a whole other story...

Anyway, don't let UAS (or specifically KTUAS, Kamaka Tenor Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome, which I am afflicted with also) stop you from taking the tour!

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way, and I can afford it. But.....if my wife and I were going to Hawaii for our Golden Wedding Anniversary in November, I'd definately pull the trigger on my dream uke (I'd have to make up my mind quick), especially if I know she would fully support the purchase. I believe if you don't, you may regret it for a long time, perhaps even develop some resentment that you didn't. People are funny. Have a great trip and pick out a beauty. The past is just a memory, the future just a dream....all you have is NOW!

I know your post is more about having reservations about spending so much money on an ukulele than it is about where in Hawaii to spend it, but I thought my threads about my shopping adventure this past April on Oahu and Kauai might be helpful. I had gone to hawaii with the goal of buying a Kamaka tenor if I found one I liked (I did), so my situation was a little different. But these threads might help you allocate your window shopping time, and if you're lucky, you may find an ukulele that your wife wants you to have. :)

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?45154-My-great-ukulele-shopping-adventure

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?45988-My-Great-Ukulele-Hawaiian-Shopping-Adventure-The-Saga-Continues-...

I think you should get it. I mean, if you buy it and play it for the rest of your life then it's great investment. The sound and feel of higher end instruments really inspire people to play more. Besides even if you end up feeling guilty or quit someday. You could always sell it, K brands hold their value pretty well.

Thanks, mds725 for your shopping reviews!

Although I would love to go to every Ukulele shop I see, buying a Kamaka Ukulele is not going to be the primary reason for our Hawaii vacation. If I happen to visit a Ukulele shop and see a Kamaka HF-3 for $300, I'll buy it otherwise I'll just keep dreaming!..

AetherBlue, It is good to know that a Kamaka HF-3 would be a good investment and it would really hold onto it's value. I'd rather have one Kamaka than 10 non K-brand Ukulele's!...

Last edited:
Thanks, for all the great shopping reviews!

Although I would love to go to every Ukulele shop I see, buying a Kamaka Ukulele is not going to be the primary reason for our Hawaii vacation. If I happen to visit a Ukulele shop and see a Kamaka HF-3 for $300 I'll buy it! Otherwise I'll just keep dreaming!..

Don't forget to check Craigslist Hawaii during the weeks leading up to your trip. I've seen a few Kamaka tenors listed for... well, not $300, but around $600. Or, hey, just keep dreaming. Dreaming is fun :)

Thanks, for the tip Janeray!

I didn't even think about the Hawaii Craigslist. My brother lives in Waipahu and I could ask him to check out a Kamaka if I ever do find one!

honestly what i found out was that those inexpensive ukes that you like end up adding up to about a K brand anyway, and 1 really good instrument trumps 8.

Top Bottom