good song for beginners

v30

Reaction score
As someone still very much a beginner, I find it tough sometimes to find songs that I like and that I can actually play. So at times I get a little discouraged and don't play for a while until I find another song that I like and can actually play. So I'm posting this in hopes it might inspire some other beginners to start on a new song. The song is California Blue by Roy Orbison. You can get the chords from here:
http://www.scorpex.net/Uke/songs/California_Blue.pdf

As said I'm a beginner too and just do a d-u-d strum with it and it sounds pretty good and not too hard to learn. Hope someone enjoys playing it. Happy Strumming!

Very nice! I appreciate the simplicity, and coupled with great vocals, what more do you need? I really enjoyed this - thanks for posting.

You've got a very good singing voice. Good job!

Good job, thanks for posting. You should try some Merle Haggard songs. You've got the voice for it.

Another good song for beginning 'wannabe rockers" is The Rolling Stones, "Sympathy for the Devil" Four easily chords, nothing too tricky in fingerwork.

The biggest trouble I've had is my Christian friends frowning on it because of the title. I point out that they must not have ever really listened to the lyrics, because it's actually a cautionary tale, essentially saying that 'The Devil wants you to be bad, so he can lay your soul to waste.' Of course this is essentially what I hear in Church too, so go figure.

The song certainly isn't sympathetic to the Devil, heheh.

They're still a little skeptical, but it seems to confuse them a bit and they get off my back for playing it. And no . . .confusing them is not "my game" Note that none of the verses are about a bald Ukulele beginner playing an easy song to get them into Hell, heheh.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I enjoyed your Video, V30. I wish I could sing, "Instrumental" is all I got, since my voice would seriously undermine my playing.

Hi, do you have a link or the details of 'Sympathy for the devil'? I love that song and would really like to try and play it! Thanks a lot.
Another good song for beginning 'wannabe rockers" is The Rolling Stones, "Sympathy for the Devil" Four easily chords, nothing too tricky in fingerwork.

The biggest trouble I've had is my Christian friends frowning on it because of the title. I point out that they must not have ever really listened to the lyrics, because it's actually a cautionary tale, essentially saying that 'The Devil wants you to be bad, so he can lay your soul to waste.' Of course this is essentially what I hear in Church too, so go figure.

The song certainly isn't sympathetic to the Devil, heheh.

They're still a little skeptical, but it seems to confuse them a bit and they get off my back for playing it. And no . . .confusing them is not "my game" Note that none of the verses are about a bald Ukulele beginner playing an easy song to get them into Hell, heheh.

I found it on Chordie, I think. Here is a short acoustic version of it played on my new Epiphone Les Paul Uke.
I'm gonna check out the links Andre posted above too.

Chordie is GREAT by the way, and you can also find chord changes if the ones listed first seem too difficult.

Top Bottom