Broke a string, advice on string choices that I might find locally?

Dane

Reaction score
Just received my Ohana TK-35G from MGM today! And it sounds great, it totally made my day. But after a few hours of playing the A string snapped, which made me sad because I don't want to play my older uke haha. It must have had a small imperfection or cut I am guessing.

The uke is solid mahogany top sides and back, and is a tenor. I was going to just look for some more aquilas to replace it, but if I can't find any I was curious as to what other choices I should look into. Ken told me he likes this same uke with worths.

I don't know much about strings so any help would be appreciated. I liked how it sounded with aquilas. But maybe a tad brighter.

Now that's what I call service...Mike, if I send you my address, you going send me something too? Ha J/K brah . . . While we on the subject of strings, how are the Fremonts compared to the Worths?

Last edited:
Thanks MGM! I sent you an email a bit ago.

So far I've only been able to find d'addario strings locally. I thought these might sound nice on a solid mahogany as well. But as I said, I really I don't have much experience with strings.

Fremonts? I haven't heard of those. Can you fill me in?
MGM has 'em on his website, Freemont Blacklines, they're fluorocarbon and manufactured in Japan. Any other info will have to come from Mike.

fcb9_1.JPG

Yes mike suggested Aquilas, Fremonts, and Worths.

All I have been able to find so far locally is d'addarios. Oh and kala as well. But most places I call have about 1 set of strings, and they're usually soprano or concert.

We need more people here in Santa Barbara playing ukes on the beach. It's beautiful, peaceful, we have palm trees, I have a funky multicolored hawaiin shirt, come on!!

I need to go to hawaii again sometime, I only got to see Oahu.

Dane, if strings aren't available locally, why not order strings from Mike? You can also check Elderly and Ukulele World.

I was just looking for a quick fix. But my fingers are telling me that playing all day on my week off is making them angry. So I decided a little break should do my fingers (not ME) good. And I am going to order a few different types from mgm, that's why I'm doing more research ;)

You can also check Elderly and Ukulele World.
I've never heard of either, will have to check it out! Thanks a bunch!

... and manufactured in Japan.

Fremont is in Seattle :D Picked mine (hard) up from a shop there but have yet to put 'em on. Might do it this weekend to see if it brightens up my Kamaka.

i like the sound and feel of ko'olau golds:D tried snakeoilers archtop with them on felt really nice

D'Addarios are fine. It's probably worth picking up a set as backup while you wait for the ones you really want to come in the mail.

yeah but the other 3 aquilas are fine, I hate to waste good strings. I will just be patient, im going to order more anyways.

So am I missing out on something by using the D'addario strings???
I NEVER see anyone here saying to use them???

I have the Green Pkg on my KA-S Soprano and my Concert Flea and the Pro Arte's on my Tenors I really like the sound on the Maple/Spruce Tenor.
Thinking of going to the Koolau gold Low g's on my KA-T, I played them on a Pono and they felt good and now that I have 2 tenors one should be Low g I guess.

I had a set of the Concert D'addario's on my other KA-S but they felt "floppy" got them when I first started and did'nt know the difference, I changed those to the Soprano Aquilla's last night the jury is still out as they need to strech.

Last edited:
Choice of strings is usually preferential and if you like the sound and feel of say, Aquila, use 'em. Everyone here has a favorite and their choice may or may not be liked by others. But really, the only one you have to please is yourself.

Top Bottom