Go straight for a high end uke? Or build up to that level?

zaphyrr

Reaction score
Hi Ukulele Underground

I have been playing the uke since January of this year. I like to think that I'm a pretty decent player. I'm currently playing a KA-CE, and have been thinking of upgrading to a mid range solid wood tenor, just waiting for the Kala Acacia Tenor to arrive at my local uke store.

However, I recently played a Kamaka Tenor, and I was wondering: Should I just skip the mid range ukes and just go straight to the high end ones? I know that I will eventually own a Kamaka Tenor, and knowing the shortage of Koa wood, along with the demand for ukuleles, the price of the Kamak will rise and rise. I am afraid that I will not be able to do the Kamaka justice.

What do you guys think? Should I build up to that level first? Or just go for it now? Any kind of help will do thanks!

Buy the best uke that you can afford. Make sure all the important stuff like bills are taken care of first. Good luck with whatever you decide. BTW - welcome to the UU.

Go straight. There is no point in "building up a certain level". Look for the best uke that you can afford and then buy the one thats just even better. If you are already into a Kamaka: buy it! Immediately!

I wish that I would have saved up for a good one instead of getting a few decent ukes. I finally got a high end uke and now the others just hang on the wall. They're all tuned differently so I can mess around on them but nothing compares to the sound and playablity of the high end uke.

I learned much faster as soon as I got the high end uke. I've also noticed that my ears have improved as far as notes and tone are concerned.

I agree with Mandarb though. Make sure you can afford it. Spending that much money will initially feel terrible. I second guessed the purchase for a while but I have absolutely no regrets now.

Bills will always be there. Get the Kamaka. When you get home and pull it out of the case I guarantee there won't be any regret.

I've been thinking the same thing. I haven't been playing very long at all and own a low budget Uke. I know have an urge to buy one... Is it still a fad I don't know.

What defines a high end uke though ? And where to start..... All so many questions with more answers then I could shake a ukulele at!

I say do what your soul tells you. There is without question a depth and certain sound which some of the lower end ukes give that the higher end models do not! Whereas all the things you'd expect to be present in the higher end models are there and not present in the lower spec ukes! I say you luke the uke, meaning use the force!

Also in my opinion it's not comparable to guitars as a cheap guitar (no matter the set up) will always sound a wee bit naff (crap). Whereas there is an honesty and much desired sound that some (that's some) of the lower end ukes give. This probably won't make sense to some folks and most likely is completely unhelpful to yourself, but I know what I mean !

PS, sorry for rambling on!

Last edited:
I say, if you can afford it, and know what size suits you best, skip the middle and go for the top end. You will actually save money in the long run, and have a smaller collection. For me that meant a Kanile'a without the bling. If you are spending over $800, I would suggest you play the instrument first, just to make sure it is the right one for you. There are variations between instruments, even of the same model and brand.

–Lori

If you can afford it, spend it.

I had a kala acacia tenor for about 3 months and then bought something much better.

If I were you, I would be trawling the marketplace here for a good deal on a 'k' brand uke or another luthier built instrument. There have been some really nice ones up for sale recently in the $400-600 range.

A better uke is going to encourage you to play more as well. Not to mention, that better instruments are just easier to play and sound better!

good luck with you search and decision.

Bills will always be there. Get the Kamaka. When you get home and pull it out of the case I guarantee there won't be any regret.

Yes - bills will always be there. I just meant that the OP should get the best they can afford but don't spend beyond their means.

Get the Kamaka, you'll luv it.

Get a high end one that calls out to you when you play it. Play instruments before you buy, that is, don't buy sight unseen. You'll probably save yourself a lot of money by not buying cheaper instruments hoping you'll find that magical "keeper". Hope this helps...!!!

I sold a friend of mine his first ukulele a Makala tenor then 3 other tenors that cost quite a bit more. He still plays that Makala tenor the most he says. "It's not the prettiest or the best made but I like the way it sounds and feels." I also have friends that won't touch anything unless it's high end. Different strokes for different folks. Hey that would be a great name for a sit com that handles social and moral issues.:rolleyes:
I personally feel one needs a well rounded collection of ukuleles for different sound , looks, feel occasion, etc.5 Ukuleles take the space of about one acoustic guitar so we all should have no less than five.:D

It is great to have a really nice instrument that really sings, has great intonation and feels great to play. You will look to play more and enjoy it more. I would rather have one really nice player than 10 so-so instruments.

I'll have to ditto everyone else and say to go with the high end uke. It'll make your playing sound much better, which in turn will make you wanna play more! Well, at least that's how it was for me.

If the Kamaka's the ukulele you want and you can afford it, go for it. You'll love it.

Don't think getting a Kamaka will cure UAS, though! After buying my HF-1, less expensive ukuleles are more difficult to resist.

If you know what you want and can afford it, I'd say go for it.

If you will only be able to buy one more uke within the next couple of years then be sure you buy the one you like. I would guess that within a couple of years you will see something you like better, and it may not be the most expensive one out there. I have a handful of ukes and the one I play the most is not the one I'd have guessed, and it's is not my most expensive. There's something about every guitar or ukulele I own that I like, but I play a couple all the time. Unfortunately, I've bought many instruments to find out what I enjoy playing. Fortunately, I like every instrument I have and don't plan on getting rid of any of them. And, they all get played.

If you're planning on playing for years to come, save yourself some money and go for the best you can afford. Building up to a better uke over time means lost money and lost time you could have spent with a nicer instrument.

Whilst I agree that you get what you pay for and therefore should spend whatever you can afford, I think that is important to have the chance to play a range of ukuleles before you part with your money. If you have the chance to play a range of ukuleles at a store, it will give you a much clearer idea of what you are after. If I didn't have any of my ukuleles (and they are not exactly high-end) I would have been happy for quite some time with my wife's Dolphin. Remember that UAS will happen anyway so be prepared to buy more than one ukulele!

Top Bottom