Mad World cover

DoctorFinlay

Reaction score
Hi all,

After nearly a year of no time to record anything ( thanks to our beautiful daughter!) I have finally got around to recording a cover of Mad World. Sorry that it is audio only, but I didn't have time to edit video! I am really pleased with the recording for two reasons, firstly it allowed me to test out my new equipment and secondly I sent it to my best mate Pedro who added bass and some beautiful harmonies. Please give me honest opinions, I much prefer direct and blunt feedback- it helps me improve!

https://files.me.com/iaincoleman/hjgg40.mp3

Fin

Sounds great to me..... really nice recording - the mix is good, everything is well recorded, nice vocals, great arrangement..... The only minor criticism I could make would be slight phasing between the instruments with the multitrack recording, but I think that's true of most everyone who posts here (myself included), with the exception of a few working professionals..... Overall, excellent job on a great tune.... always makes me think of the film "Donnie Darko" now......

Have done some more editing and have made it into a video using pix of my little daughter as it wasn't filmed. Not sure about the phasing, think it might be to do with the amount of normalisation I did with the basic tracks.

Doc - nice video! .... all I meant about the phasing was a slight discrepancy on the timing of the guitar and the uke, just niggling inaccuracies in keeping a consistent rhythm..... and, like I said, it's very minor. I wouldn't worry too much about it - you're playing is really clean and sounds great - a lot cleaner than most of my attempts! The only reason I mentioned it at all was because you specifically asked for constructive criticism and that was really all I could come up with. All of the positive comments on this forum are nice, but I really appreciate when someone takes the time to point out something I can improve - that's really all I was trying to do. And keeping a steady, consistent rhythm - especially across multiple tracks - is something I think we all work on constantly - a kind of 'goes-without-saying' sort of thing. I guess I just said it.....

Hi all,

Please give me honest opinions, I much prefer direct and blunt feedback- it helps me improve!

https://files.me.com/iaincoleman/hjgg40.mp3

Fin

hey

i thought that was really good and i recognized the tune though i had to google to remember who and when.. i pegged it about 6-8 years earlier. its got a 70's vibe to me.

1982 was the year i left home...

the stuff i have recorded as well as alot of the youtube stuff i listen to sounds like what it is... an amature playing around with recording ect and thats cool cause that is what alot of us are. its fun as hell.

if somebody slipped your version onto my ipod i would assume it was a "real" recording..good job.

i like "uke" versions that treat the uke as part of the band and not there as a novelty.

this tune is a great example of the uke as REAL instrument. nicely played and recorded.. congrats

eor

Doc - nice video! .... all I meant about the phasing was a slight discrepancy on the timing of the guitar and the uke, just niggling inaccuracies in keeping a consistent rhythm..... and, like I said, it's very minor. I wouldn't worry too much about it - you're playing is really clean and sounds great - a lot cleaner than most of my attempts! The only reason I mentioned it at all was because you specifically asked for constructive criticism and that was really all I could come up with. All of the positive comments on this forum are nice, but I really appreciate when someone takes the time to point out something I can improve - that's really all I was trying to do. And keeping a steady, consistent rhythm - especially across multiple tracks - is something I think we all work on constantly - a kind of 'goes-without-saying' sort of thing. I guess I just said it.....

Thanks- I am the same, positive comments are lovely, but I am always looking to improve. I understand what you mean about the bits where the guitar and uke are out a bit, I think it will be my focus for my next effort in the next few days (my wife has just started back at work and my daughter has started nursery which gives me a few days to myself before I go back to school!) Thanks for all the comments and feedback!

I also would have thought it was a professional recording. Nicely done.

Top Bottom