Hand moisturising - do you?

tthew

Reaction score
There's loads of threads on here about different kinds of strings and the tones they give, but has anyone else noticed that if you have dry hands, (the sort you get from heavy manual work like proper gardening etc.) your instrument sounds much worse for it?

So, does anyone use handcream routinely to make sure their playing is at it's best? Clearly this is a question aimed mainly at blokes, I'm sure all of the girls here think this is a really stupid question, as their hands are always well moisuturised and lovely and soft just because! :)

And just to maintain the balance, what did you think of that *(insert rough, manly game of choice here) game last night?? ;)

There's loads of threads on here about different kinds of strings and the tones they give, but has anyone else noticed that if you have dry hands, (the sort you get from heavy manual work like proper gardening etc.) your instrument sounds much worse for it?

So, does anyone use handcream routinely to make sure their playing is at it's best? Clearly this is a question aimed mainly at blokes, I'm sure all of the girls here think this is a really stupid question, as their hands are always well moisuturised and lovely and soft just because! :)

And just to maintain the balance, what did you think of that *(insert rough, manly game of choice here) game last night?? ;)

I never hand moisturise but before a gig i make sure I shower way before and even hold a cold pint in my strumming hand so my fretting hand doesn't get wet and soften? Now that's weird

When I get dry hands and feet I use Corn Huskers lotion, it's great stuff, inexpensive and not oily.

I also use Corn Huskers lotion, primarily in the winter when the air is dryer. I call it "man lotion".

No hand moisturiser for me - but I do sometimes slap a bit on my head! :)

Sometimes paint a bit of varnish on my picking hand fingernails to strengthen them but otherwise I don't do much in the way of handcare.

Similar to the point raised by Rae, I imagine too much lotion might soften the calluses that build up on the fingertips of your fretting hand. Maybe not such an issue on 'ukulele, but if you also play any steel-string instruments, such as guitar or mandolin, that could be an unwanted side-effect.

I play bass and guitar so I don't really want soft hands o_O

Glad to note I'm not the only one that "slaps a bit on my head". Perhaps a little on my forehead and elbows as well. Rub it all in with by hands then wash it off the palms and fingers. Probably I should not use my fretting hand to rub it in on opposite elbow. Guess I should add a couple of steps avoid doing that in my routine!
No hand moisturiser for me - but I do sometimes slap a bit on my head! :)

Sometimes paint a bit of varnish on my picking hand fingernails to strengthen them but otherwise I don't do much in the way of handcare.

Similar to the point raised by Rae, I imagine too much lotion might soften the calluses that build up on the fingertips of your fretting hand. Maybe not such an issue on 'ukulele, but if you also play any steel-string instruments, such as guitar or mandolin, that could be an unwanted side-effect.

I'm a girl, but I am also a lotion fanatic.
Lotion will not soften the calluses on the fretting hand. It's ok.
I use lotion a lot, but not when I am playing. I wash my hands every time before I play. I want my hands to feel really clean. Otherwise I think it mucks up my playing by slowing me down.

I have my hands in an ammonia-based sanitizer solution pretty consistantly at work, so I definitely use hand lotion - especially in the winter, when my hands and fingers crack and bleed without it.

I primarily use a borage-based lotion from a company called Shikai, but I'll also use just about any non-greasy unscented lotion.

And agreed, before playing, I want clean, dry hands - no lotion, maybe a touch of cornstarch rubbed in nicely. (Like talcum powder, but more environmentally friendly.)

- - - - - -Kurt

Wait wait wait wait wait hold the pie horse for a second...

people use lotion for their hands? ..I think I've been using it wrong..

people use lotion for their hands? ..I think I've been using it wrong..

:D

I think on re-reading the original message, It didn't come across that it's the rough skin that goes with the dry hands that causes bad intonation. As suggested above, I find dry skin best while playing. Lube'd up fingers just adds one more problem to contend with!

I never used moisturizer until I began playing the uke. My girlfriend was really excited that I started taking care of my hands (I also stopped biting my nails), and bought me this smelly Hemp moisturizer from the Body Shop. My callouses seem less rough, but it takes much longer for the strings to hurt my fingertips, so I've kept with it.

Cocoa Butter, works best for this dry Las Vegas air. But always wash my hands before playing, don't want to damage the instrument body, kill the strings, & get grease in the fret board, although holding a guitar pick with REALLY dry fingers can be a pain. The cocoa butter works good on my forehead also.

Glad to note I'm not the only one that "slaps a bit on my head". Perhaps a little on my forehead and elbows as well. Rub it all in with by hands then wash it off the palms and fingers. Probably I should not use my fretting hand to rub it in on opposite elbow. Guess I should add a couple of steps avoid doing that in my routine!

Cocoa Butter, works best for this dry Las Vegas air. But always wash my hands before playing, don't want to damage the instrument body, kill the strings, & get grease in the fret board, although holding a guitar pick with REALLY dry fingers can be a pain. The cocoa butter works good on my forehead also.

I too use cocoa butter and add a little Vitamin E. (Again, "then wash it off the palms and fingers".

Are you kidding?? Down here in muggy Florida our problem is keeping every thing dry! Play out side and it feels like being in a pool playing!!

If I go to the beach and have wet hands from swimming the uke sound different from the strumming hand. Maybe you have something here. "Uke strumming lotion....gives you a smooooth consistent sound."

The uke has gotten so popular maybe it would fly. Definitely the hardness of your skin affect the attach on the strings. I kind of line the loud sound you get from hard skin. You could sell a line of lotions some to give you that mellow sound and some to harden up the skin for that "tin pan alley" sound.

Top Bottom