Song Help Request Led Zep - The Rain Song

aehalt

Reaction score
Just need some help fleshing some of the subtleties...

begin with the G chord shape 0232

strum the G for a bar or two then pick up your ring finger to let the A string play open, then place your pinky back on the A string at the 3rd fret.

0232 - 0230 - 0233 - 0232 -

then it appears to be a slide up the C string, x2xx -slide-> x4xx

change your chord shape momentarily to an Fm# i think, it's 5450

so all together what i have is the intro melody:

0232 - 0230 - 0233 - 0232 - x2xx(pick this then pick and slide) - x2xx---slide-->x4xx - 5450

also, for a low G this version is amazing

I've been looking for this too. I did find this earlier post. Would be great if someone had more.

Wonder if you have seen this:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?33237-The-Rain-Song-Led-Zeppelin

I like Mike Love's version better, but it does add more complexity, which is why I think that it sounds better, but their both good. I never tried to play this Zep song, on a uke or guitar. When you guys figure it out, let me know, looks like it might be fun to play, just wish I could sing.

That low G sounds wound: squeak - squeak.

Last edited:
Short time lurker, first time poster. I've been working on my own rendition of this song for awhile and there's still a LOT to figure out to make it sound good. I looked at Hubes' tab to get me started but there are some flaws in it. Maybe if we all post what we are almost certain sounds best, we can make something beautiful

I've watched both videos in the OP many times, and from lollygagging around on my uke, this is what I've come up with. It won't sound exactly the same because I'm trying to make it flow (most uke covers are lacking there), but I'll only post the major differences between mine and Hube's

Verse

|--6/5---------5---------3--3---3-3-3---3--3---3-3-3-
|--6/5---------5---------3--3---3-3-3---3--3---3-3-3-
|--6/5---------5---------5--4---0-0-0---5--4---0-0-0-
|--8/7---------3---------5--5---5-5-5---5--5---5-5-5-

Verse Part Deux

The picking below sounds a little off. After the first three chord progressions, I think the 4 and 2 should be 6 and 4 (from what I've seen in guitar tabs) or maybe even 2 and 0 on the E string instead? I don't know. But I've yet to figure out a fluid way of playing it without....knowing how to play it z_z haha. So I just copied/pasted most of the plucking part from Hubes'. Credit's all his there. Although, I believe the chords scale up like so

|-0--2--2-------------------------0--2--2--------------------------0--2--2-------------------------0--2--7---5-------------
|-3--3--3----5--7--3--5--3-------3--3--3----5--7--3--5--3--------3--3--3----5--7--3--5--3--------3--3--7---7-7-----------
|-2--2--2---------------4---2-----3--3--3---------------4---2-----4--4--4---------------4---2-----5--5--5---5---5-4-------
|-0--0--0-------------------------0--0--0--------------------------0--0--0-------------------------0--0--0---0------------

I've yet to figure out all the plucking after that as well

Just keep in mind this will sound great playing along to either videos, or even the original. Just won't be 100%, which is nigh impossible when it comes to the original

Last edited:
right after what you worked out... looks like a slide is in order...

A string 5-slide-7---5--2---

Top Bottom