PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Uke, Musical Saw, Melodica: The First Cut Is The Deepest

Captain_Lovehandles
08-23-2011, 09:00 AM
It's a little tongue-in-cheek. Needed a song that went with the saw theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ImN_B2OUQ

minniethemoocher
08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
One of my new fave street string bands is Blind Boy Chocolate & The Milk Sheiks, they play a saw too - very neat and imaginative rendition of a song I always liked, thanks for sharing.

Captain_Lovehandles
08-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks, Minnie. I'm gonna def. check them out.

23skidoo
08-23-2011, 03:08 PM
very cool, Cap'n..... really diggin' the duelling saws.....

TCK
08-24-2011, 02:14 PM
THe first time I saw a musical saw, it was in the capable hands of Kenny Blacklock (Charlie Blacklock's grand son). I was fascinated...but to combine it with two of my other loves (Uke and melodica) and then play one of my favorite tunes (I have more versions of it than "Summertime"...crazy) and I am smitten- super well done, and totally made my day- thank you!

chindog
08-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Once again, on the cutting edge of musical performance!

Captain_Lovehandles
08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
TCK, that was such an encouraging reply. Thanks for taking the time to be groovy.

Hippie Dribble
08-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Wow Captain. That was just FAB. :)

Captain_Lovehandles
08-25-2011, 02:23 AM
Eugene, it was marvy at best. Hardly fab. Thanks for watching.

Hippie Dribble
08-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Eugene, it was marvy at best. Hardly fab. Thanks for watching.

Sorry cap'n,

beg to differ. It was FAB!!!!!!! Gloriously trippy!!!....just come back for a third helping. This was the first song I learnt on a ukulele and I'm a Cat Stevens goner too so resistance is futile.... :)

TCK
08-27-2011, 08:52 PM
TCK, that was such an encouraging reply. Thanks for taking the time to be groovy.
Oh dang- I just went and took a look around the tube...you are doing this all over the place aren't you? FANTASTIC! Loving the saw/uke combo in your videos. Totally mesmerized.
I sent the video off to Kenny and he loved it...he sent this one back of his grand-dad on the saw and harmonica.
I figure while we are on the subject it would be OK? I hope- not trying to thread jack, just thought it was pretty cool to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-c5j7mahs

Captain_Lovehandles
08-28-2011, 10:58 AM
I've seen that before. Charlie made it seem so effortless. I've tried to sing and play saw, but found I need to focus all my ear strength on keeping the saw on pitch. I can play harp and guitar at the same time, but saw... that seems tough. Thanks for sharing it. And is that Dr. Leonard Hofstadter on fiddle? :)

TCK
08-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Haha- I had to look up Dr. Leonard Hofstadter. No, that is Kenny Blacklock. He is a great fiddle player as well as a saw bender ;)