Modify ur uke

UkEdman90

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals out there in UU!!! Quick question any of you guys ever modified your ukes? I mean in any way possible!!! if so lets hear it!

No mods yet. I'm afraid I'll break something. And breaking my Kamaka would make me cry. :eek: But I've been considering a Tusq bridge and nut, and maybe some fancier tuners.

i have an old hilo uke that im sanding down and im probubly gonna paint it black and then put a very thin gloss finish. currently its just hung up on the wall. i havent finished sanding it yet and i still need to find some very thin paint. then ill put some new strings on it and uke it up!

i have an old hilo uke that im sanding down and im probubly gonna paint it black and then put a very thin gloss finish. currently its just hung up on the wall. i havent finished sanding it yet and i still need to find some very thin paint. then ill put some new strings on it and uke it up!

thats cool man should b sweet, i plan on adding an under saddle pickup so i can plug in and play my uke nice and loud to piss off my neigbors(its always fun!).

I'll be changing the tuners on my Kamaka to a set of Pegheds in the next week or so. Why? I really like the look of the old wood peg style tuners buy don't want to fight with the maintenance of them.

How about you take apart one of the pegs just to see how things fit together? That will take away the fear of taking your gear apart as well. But with an expensive ukulele such as a G-string, getting the holes drilled out nicely (once you have decided which tuners you want and if this is necessary) might be more safely done by a luthier or any middle-aged man with a shed full of expensive powertools. Remember that you check your measurements, then go trough the entire operation once without actually doing anything, check your measurements again, and then pray you don't mess up ;)

Rich has done a fair amount of modifications to our ukuleles, besides adding strap buttons to most of them.

He's added pick-ups to two ukuleles. One was a Bushman pickup, similar to a Shadow, with a built-in preamp. The other pickup he installed was a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio.

He replaced the tuners on our resonator with sealed geared tuners. And when the bridge broke on the cigar box uke he replaced that and lowered the action.

thats cool man should b sweet, i plan on adding an under saddle pickup so i can plug in and play my uke nice and loud to piss off my neigbors(its always fun!).

LOL i should do that too. the people who live across from me have this dog that they never got fixed. so FOR TEN YEARS he has been coming over and urinating all over my garden! argh. so what will i do? start a garage band of course. we will be named,"the midnight special"

:nana:

Haha my mods are awesome:

Vinyl Stickers
Sharpied in side dot fretboard markers
Tightening of screws in tuner
Replacing Strings

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I try not to buy ones where a lot of modification is needed to make it sound good. And if I need another electric (I dont) I'd probably just buy another electric with all the nice things that I need.

LOL i should do that too. the people who live across from me have this dog that they never got fixed. so FOR TEN YEARS he has been coming over and urinating all over my garden! argh. so what will i do? start a garage band of course. we will be named,"the midnight special"

:nana:

THAT IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!! HAHA that sounds good

Added a Baggs ribbon transducer pickup under the bridge of my Bushman Cedar Tone. Interesting working inside a space you can't get your hands into. My lighted dental mirror and dental pick came in handy.

I believe the Cat Uke was made by Mike DaSilva, here's a photo from his website . . .

Yowlalele-Blue-525.jpg

I put non-stick material on the back of my Fluke, and some water-slide decals on the front. Nothing more serious. But I'm considering adding a strap button to my reso...

(sidebar: when I saw the thread title "modify ur uke" I thought you meant an ur-ukulele like the ur-guitar or ur-computer. You know: some ancient instrument that was the earliest model, the mother of all ukuleles. I was looking for pictures of some ultra-vintage instrument you were about to change...)

I switched out my "made in china" geared tuners for sweet all black chrome Ghoto Japanese ones. It made a world of difference. I was a bit frightened to take apart my pegs, but its pretty darn easy. Just take your time. I have pictures posted in the "p***" thread.

My starter uke was a soprano no-name that had a very stiff action, especially on my virgin finger tips. Sore fret fingers after just a short time playing. I loosened the strings and filed the grooves in the nut a little deeper. Not very much, just a few strokes with the file, to get the strings closer to the fretboard. Too deep will cause the strings to touch the frets and require a new nut.

Worked very well. Easier action, much more comfortable playing.

Top Bottom