1st Uke: Kala KA-C or Oscar Schmidt OU5 or Lanikai LU-21C ?

SB Surf

Reaction score
Hey ALL,

I start a ukulele course in 2 weeks. I have decided that I want a concert ukulele so that I have more room on the fingerboard. I am willing to spend slightly more for a better entry-level ukelele ($100-$150) and I have narrowed my search to these three:

1) Kala KA-C (Mahogany, but not solid mahogany)

2) Oscar Schmidt OU5 (koa, but not solid koa)

3) Lanikai LU-21C

I would appreciate it if anyone can assist me in this selection process. I'm looking for quality sound (more on the soprano end of the spectrum) with good intonation. Looks aren't as important as the sound, so the abalone inlay isn't what attracts me to the OU5. Thanks for the help!

-Donovan

I've had an OU5, and played many Kalas. Definitely go with the Kala. The sound quality of my OU5 wasn't great, and I had a friend whose OU5 was worse than mine. Not terrible, but Kala would be my preference out of the three.

Whether you get a Kala from Uke Republic or a Lanakai from Mim's Ukes, either of them would give you an expert set up and make sure it's a good deal. I would def. deal with one of them.

If I had to buy my first knowing what I know now, I would go with Kala as Cpt Lovehandles recommends. :)

In your price range, you can get an Ohana CK20 with a solid mahogany top, and for another $35 bucks or so, a CK25 all solid mahogany concert.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your input everyone.

@PhilUSAFRet - I am now looking heavily into purchasing a Ohana CK25 all mahogany concert. Any recommendations on which websites are reputable and have fast delivery, reputable being of much higher concern. Many Thanks!

Thanks for your input everyone.

@PhilUSAFRet - I am now looking heavily into purchasing a Ohana CK25 all mahogany concert. Any recommendations on which websites are reputable and have fast delivery, reputable being of much higher concern. Many Thanks!

Ukerepublic is a good reputable dealer for the Ohana ukes. I don't know if he has any in stock at the moment. Happy Uke Hunting :D

Top Bottom