Eddie Vedder under the covers....

H

Hippie Dribble

I bought the 'Ukulele Songs" record last week. The first few times I played it I just didn't think much of it at all...then....I started to get my head around where the songs were coming from, the lyrics and the melodies...it started to sound great and I now am a big fan of the album. There really are several great songs on there.

My beef: why, oh why did he throw in those two token covers at the end? ('Tonight You Belong To Me' and 'Dream A Little Dream Of Me') I think they (especially the latter) are the worst versions of those songs I've ever heard, and ultimately, they detract from all the great stuff beforehand. I would have been much happier with a 29 minute album of his songs solely, rather than a 34 minute album with those two train wrecks closing it out. :eek:

I totally agree. The two last songs takes all the tension and feeling he built up during the album and throws it out the window. He's got a few very nice songs on the album which I have spent a lot of time listening to. I especially like sleepless nights, and Satellite very good!

Oh dear. Another UU Eddie Vedder thread...

;)

I totally agree. The two last songs takes all the tension and feeling he built up during the album and throws it out the window.

YES NordicUke, this exactly!!! It's a very passionate and emotive record and to finish it in the way he chose was a great letdown, to me at least.

Oh dear. Another UU Eddie Vedder thread...

;)

he he...sorry John. I'm late to the party....again. :eek: I never listened to Pearl Jam much and I rarely listen to anything from the last 70 years, but I am so pleasantly surprised how into this album I am.

I don't mind the "tonight you belong to me" duet, but not too keen o the other cover. I still have this album playing from time to time. Sure it's no epic materpiece but it's a pretty cool album to chill to.

There are really 5 covers on the album, and interestingly enough they're all pretty old songs:

• More Than You Know (1929)
  • Sleepless (1960)
  • Once In A While (1937)
  • Tonight You Belong To Me (1926)
  • Dream A Little Dream Of Me (1930)

I like them well enough, though I agree the last two songs end the album in a bit of a different place than it started. I do like "Tonight ..." on its own, but will generally skip "Dream ..."

Last edited:
There are really 5 covers on the album, and interestingly enough they're all pretty old songs:

• Sleepless (1960)
  • Once In A While (1937)

I like them well enough, though I agree the last two songs end the album in a bit of a different place than it started. I do like "Tonight ..." on its own, but will generally skip "Dream ..."

thanks, I had no idea of that. Those other three tunes seem to fit well the mood of the album, but, like you said, those last two sound somehow a little contrived, especially the closing song. With that caveat though, I really love the record.

• Sleepless (1960)
  • Once In A While (1937)

Technically, does "Can't Keep" also count as a cover, seeing as it's a Pearl Jam song? :p

cant keep written by ed on a ukulele before 'riot act'. pearl jam's version is a cover of the uke version.

Top Bottom