Martin 1M-3M and old koa ukes

garyg

Reaction score
For you vintage uke experts, I'm curious about whether there are differences in the wood (and sound) and construction of the ascending grades of Martins, or were the differences just in the trim (seems unlikely). I suppose this question can be expanded to the K series ukes too - differences in wood and construction or just bindings, fret markers, etc. Also, I'd like to get an old (say 20's) solid koa uke and am curious about which brands to consider. There are a lot of brands no longer in existence (e.g. right now there's a Kumulea uke on ebay that has a reasonable starting bid) that you don't hear much about. I'm looking for a playing uke not a collectors uke. TIA, g2

Most of what I will share with you stems from my personal experience with the instruments you are asking about. Some of it is derived from what I have read and heard (videos) on line, as well as from conversations with others. Martin Style 3s and 5s were made by the more experienced luthiers in the Martin shop. The grade of wood selected for use, particularly on these more expensive koa models, is higher...at least it is prettier. You can clearly see this in comparing pictures of 1ks vs. 3ks or 5ks. In my experience, sometimes the earliest Os, 1s, and 2s are louder than the 3s and 5s, but the 3s (I have not played a vintage 5) seem fuller, richer and more even in tone. To my ears, at least potentially, the lower models can have more bark. You may be able to hear the difference by listening to some Winin' Boy videos where he plays the lower styles vs. a lovely 5K he has. Or, compare the sound of Winin' Boy's ukes to Ukulelezazas. Then there are just differences in tone between individual ukuleles. My friend has a 40s-50s Style O that sounds punchier than my 1960's version, one that I would describe as more harp-like. I'm still lusting after a certain style 2 that I played a year ago that sounded like a cannon going off. You can really drive yourself nuts with all of this though. There are so many factors beyond the construction of the ukes themselves that make adjustments to your such judgments difficult: strings, the acoustics in the room; and I really believe it's difficult to hear what the ukulele sounds like when you are playing it. In the best of all possible worlds you are presented with an array of different ukuleles, you can compare them side-by-side to make decisions about the playability, and you have a friend along who can play the ukes for you so you can hear what they sound like to a listener. Of course, this is less than likely. All of that said, vintage Martins sound quite similar one to another, as compared to say a vintage Martin vs. a vintage Gibson. On the brightest side, I've never played a vintage Martin that was not really good in terms of playability and tone. In other words, you're not going to go wrong, but you may have little control over whether you go really right, if that makes sense.

The 20s and 30s Hawaiian ukuleles I have and have played are interesting (I must say that your UAS and mine are the same :). They are very loud, very strident (my wife would say too loud and too strident). Some of this, I think, has to do with the fact that, at least the ones I can write about, have no bridge plate. It's an interesting tone, but I would not say it's a great tone, especially as compared to Martins or even newer Hawaiian made ukuleles. I do love the way the old Hawaiians looks, though. Playability, however, is another matter. In my experience, they don't play very well. The action will go from low to very high over 6-1/2" of neck (no fretboard, straight neck). They are fine, therefore, if you play (or especially strum) until around the 5th fret. After that, it gets a little challenging.

Wow, thanks for the great information. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I own a beautiful 1M that has that incredible bell-like vintage mahogany sound thanks to a generous person here on the board, but besides general information, one purpose for my question was whether to start saving for a 2 or 3M, especially if they are different in sound. I'm not a collector so this would be another instrument that would be played. It is interesting that there seems to be a lot of inter-individual variability in sound from the same make and vintage of vintage ukes. Buying online can make that a dangerous proposition.

I think the 0, 1, 2's sound very similar, although it seems that each individual uke has a slightly different sound. The 3's sound a bit different because of the extended fretboard, but still very similar. The K's sound different than the M's. If your looking for a different sound from what you already have go with a K. For the money, I don't think the koa Martins sound any better than the M's just a bit different. I had a kumale once. It had a nice sound. They are not nearly as nicely made as Martins and are often plagued with serious cracks and separations. Intonation can be a bit off with them too. Action can be high, necks bent, etc.

I agree w Howard's words.

And, yes, as ukola mentions, the Ms are unique from the Ks sound...

I scored a 1920s 1K tonight, which should be cool since By 1942, Koa was only on the 3s and 5s I believe.

Last edited:
I've heard from others and seems to be the case that the Martin Sopranos that has been used and reasonably cared for it will have a better sound that one that has languished in a case for 40 years. The 50+ year old instruments do open up and develop great character if kept free of structural damages.

I have a 40s 3M that I bought with the side kicked in, but by pressing it together with one hand and picking with the other on the two strings I could safely bring almost to pitch, it wowed me so I bought and salvaged it. It is not as loud as my little Favilla. However it plays like buttah and the sound while quieter is clean with great sustain. The extended fretboard really does quiet the top but the sound is sweet and the responsiveness is superb, and I want that long fretboard. It is louder when played over the soundhole instead of at the neck join. I feel fortunate and very lucky to have it. Also I do love the center stripes down the fretboard and the binding and purfling. It was played really hard by the PO, someone's grandpa.

Top Bottom