Ukulele World

Status
Not open for further replies.

delray48209

Reaction score
I spotted a Ohana Gig bag to fit my Ohana SK-21 (Sopranino) at Ukulele World. The price was $15.82 (kind of an odd price). When I went to order it online, the shipping charge came to $12.20 (almost the price of the case itself). We are talking about a very small soft case to fit the tiny Ohana Sopranino. Weight is almost nothing and it certainly can be folded into a small box or a large padded envelope. As you can read below, I also mentioned that I was going to post the outrageous shipping price to members of this forum. I believe members of the forum should be aware of questionable pricing practices.

Roy fired back an email, accusing me of trying to "blackmail" him for simply posting this for members of this forum to read. Too funny.

Below is the email if you wish to read it:

On 8/24/2011 11:13 AM, Frank wrote:

I was going to order a Ohana Gig bag for the Ohana Soporinio for $15.82. I thought it was a great deal until I discovered that you are charging me $12.20 to ship the bag via USPS. Your shipping charge is almost as much as the bag. I'll have to post this on the Ukulele Underground forum to let others know of the outrageous shipping cost you are charging.

Respectfully,
Frank

Here's Roy's Reply to me by email:

"We ship US Priority Mail 2-3 business day.
The bag goes in a shipping box 15" x 12" x 2"
Do whatever you wish on notifying anyone of anything....
We do not respond to blackmail"

--
<roysig7.jpg>

Can't really blame them for the cost of shipping. It's not cheap to mail things anymore. Even those USPS pre-rated boxes are expensive. The size they'd need are at least $10, if not more. just sayin'...

I'm not sure what, if anything, you're asking in your post. However, I'll chime in by saying that I think you could have told Ukulele World that you were not going to buy something because from them because you objected to the shipping charge, without adding the sentence about posting about the shipping charge on the UU forums. I think Roy's use of the word "blackmail" might be a little harsh, but if someone told me they were going to tell a large group of people that I did something the speaker didn't like, I might wonder if the speaker was hoping that I'd want to avoid the mass broadcast by making him happier in some way.

I think you need to pinch yourself in the leg and take a few deep breaths. I went to the web site and everything you complain about is explained in full under "Help". The company is out front with all shipping costs clearly shown. It is, of course, your right to buy or not buy from them but to bring it to this forum is, well...???

Um... you are aware that the shipping charge goes to... um... shipping... right?

It's not something the seller controls... that's just how much shipping costs.

I'm not sure how that's questionable...

Several companies have higher shipping rates than many of their competitors. Many are not equipped to use multiple shipping methods just to lower shipping costs. That's why we "shop around." This could have been handled more diplomatically....just sayin!

I'm going to agree with Sukie here. That seems like a totally reasonable shipping charge. I'm sorry you're disappointed, but it costs a lot to handle and ship stuff these days. Be glad you live in the U.S.; to ship anything within Canada the rate would be two or three times as much. :)

I'm not quite sure why Ukulele World needed to be told anything.

What was the point of emailing them to say you "Object" to the price of shipping?

Was it to get them to change their "questionable practice"?

What was the point of posting it here? To "warn" others that someone actually charges their customers for shipping?

Did you find a cheaper rate for a similar service somewhere?

I don't get why you'd post this ANYWHERE, let alone here in the forum.

Roy was right and his answer had style. Not exactly pc, but I like his approach.:)

I am proud of UU. I don't think there was anything wrong with the cost to ship that bag. I mean, he probably could put it in an envelope and fold up the gig bag, but then we would probable complain about his packing practises:)

I have a friend that actually planned a visit to Ukulele World. IT is a funny story and a little sad.

Back to original topic...I am glad that UW didn't bend to the threat made to them. I am also proud of the OP for making an effort to get a better price on shipping.

Roy was right and his answer had style. Not exactly pc, but I like his approach.:)

I'm not sure what wasn't PC about it.

Threatening to expose information for gain IS blackmail.

Problem is, the information is a) not damning at all and b) pretty much public already. It's not like this was a secret.

I mean... one can only assume (because he hasn't posted again) that the OP wanted a result from Roy and that this was the intent of the threat.

It couldn't just be that he wanted to get the information (which is readily available on the website) out as, like, a service to the community...

Could it?

If so...

Seriously?

It was probably shipped in a flat rate Priority box in which case the shipping price is very fair.
You want to complain about shipping, move to Hawaii. I commonly pay as much for shipping as I do for the item. Recently I bought a bench lamp for $100, it cost $100 to ship. Bought a fresh air respirator for $400, cost $205 to ship. Spruce bracing wood cost me $45 a box but $110 to ship.
Whenever possible, when I shop online, my first priority is cheap or free shipping.

Anybody wishing to purchase from Ukulele World would've seen the shipping rates on their own - not sure why it was necessary to post them here as though it was some kind of scandal.

I've found lately that even shipping the smallest things for eBay sales I'm paying a lot more than I used to - I had to raise my shipping costs significantly so I don't take a beating...

Roy is NOT a big-time operation; I seriously doubt he can afford to eat the cost of shipping on things - especially on an item he was probably selling at a VERY slim margin.

Seriously - it was pretty classless to post your complaint here.

It was probably shipped in a flat rate Priority box in which case the shipping price is very fair.
You want to complain about shipping, move to Hawaii. I commonly pay as much for shipping as I do for the item. Recently I bought a bench lamp for $100, it cost $100 to ship. Bought a fresh air respirator for $400, cost $205 to ship. Spruce bracing wood cost me $45 a box but $110 to ship.
Whenever possible, when I shop online, my first priority is cheap or free shipping.

Living in Bermuda is the same... but add duty, sometimes up to 22%!

By the way, Chuck, when I DO get my ukulele from you, I refuse to pay for shipping!

(I'll be picking it up from the source!)

UW's shipping prices are very reasonable. I bought a Reunion Blues tenor gig bag and not only was it the lowest price for the RB, Roy also had the best shipping price to Hawaii! Another site I debated buying from (won't name site) had a higher price for the gig bag and their shipping price to Hawaii was ridiculous! Roy is also very quick in shipping items and packs them well. I will definitely be doing business with him again.

Heh. This really was something I hope the OP would choose to not post if given the chance again.

Is it aggravating for a consumer to have to pay as much in shipping as we do for the actual item? Sure. But unless the shipping cost is clearly obscene, there really isn't much we can do about it. After all, it (gasp) costs money to ship things. Yeah, I know, that's a real mind blower there. And a quick check of the USPS site would have told you that the actual cost of priority shipping for an item in the box the size of the gigbag is .... wait for it ... $10.95

So, Ukulele World is gouging you for about two bucks.

That sounds about reasonable to me.

I'll chalk this up the mere sticker shock and unfamiliarity with online purchasing on the part of the OP, because the alternative isn't very complimentary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom