Sad, becuase I couldnt get my Kanilea, happy because....

agroupuk

Reaction score
Well,

I had a car run into the back of mine last week meaning I couldnt afford to get the Kanilea tenor I was saving up for. It was meant to be for my birthday present. A bit of birthday money and some of my savings.

Anyway, the wife ended up buying me a present because I was soooo sad.

aadp9w.jpg

And here it is in its new home.....

24cfrmb.jpg

MGM sent me some Worth Browns which have just gone on and it sounds sweet!

Now I have to save again for that Kanilea... but it will be worth it :)

Yep - micro cube also... although I had to help pay for that ::)

The acoustic bass is always worth a laugh when I go round my mates recording studio. I love watching the guitarists pick it up and comment on how IMMENSE it is compared to their teeny tiny guitars lol, then I pull out my little Kala uke and show them the two extremes hehe.

Ahh, good times!

I also have this one....

9pqgdg.jpg

and my little Makala but I didnt have enough cash left to buy 2 more wall hangers.

so, just a question. How do those OLP's sound. i mean realisticly. i have never gotten a chance to play one and i freaking love the sound of EB musicmans... and i guess im just being nosy.

so, just a question. How do those OLP's sound. i mean realisticly. i have never gotten a chance to play one and i freaking love the sound of EB musicmans... and i guess im just being nosy.

No, its a good question.

Well I played an OLP a while back right after playing a real MM and it felt a little 'cheap' in comparison.

That was a while back now...... Anyway, I was speaking to my guitar tutor recently and he mentioned that he bought a proper Musicman and then one of his students bought an OLP in with her. Turns out it was pretty much identical.

So, he gets a little suspicious of this 'look-a-like' and has the serial number ran through by a friend of his in a guitar shop. Turns out it WAS pretty much a real mm except for the pickups and possibly the switches. Aparently MM make some of the OLP bodies or something like that and basically when you buy an OLP you have a chance of getting 'more or less' a proper MM but with a little less sparkle in the PUP's etc. Same body/neck/colours etc.

I havent ran my serial through although he did offer to find out for me. But when he played it he said it was either a proper body or a VERY VERY good copy.

So - in answer to your question..... mines sounds sweet and feels good (and heavy lol) - it just needs better PUP's - I will probably throw some Barts on it when I am once again feeling rich..... its a long wait.

Man...I really want a microcube...someday when I find one for cheap on craigslist I'll get it.

argh jealousy!!!!!!

nice dude. cant wait to see da vids!

I went up to my parents house recently, and they have a acoustic bass in their living room that my brother didn't take with him when he moved away. It felt HUGE when I picked it up.

Aye they are big lol

mine (I just measured it hehe) is 50 inches from tip to toe - or 1.22 metres if you prefer - just over 4 feet.

I am only 5' 6" so it looks pretty big on me :)

I'm 6' and I thought the thing was pretty damn big. I looked at the size of the frets, and then the size of my concerts frets, and laughed. The thing needs to be used as an upright bass haha. I really don't like the metal strings though, I suppose that's why I like uke so much, and I'm guessing that if you play bass enough, you must get some pretty gnarly hands. Strings are huge and about 1/2" off the frets, I put the thing back after putting it back in tune (I thought it needed some attention at least, since I don't know how to play it)

Back to the eleuke, I've been getting really curious about them, I love the look, but I know basically nothing about electronics in instruments. I wouldn't have a clue what to get, or how much it would cost. I need to get my brother to send me my amp back too, because he never uses it...

I just measured it, and it's 49" long. But the body is what I thought was so large, I mean, do you only play it standing up? Or do you turn it a bit sideways when you're sitting down? I have long arms but still...

Yeah its pretty long - I havent tried playing it stood up - its kinda laid back sounding so it fits with a sitting down playing position much better.

I find I hold it titlted slightly out at the bottom (where it sits on my legs) otherwise its a little uncomfortable to strum as its also pretty damn deep, maybe 5 to 6 inches deep back to front and not having any curved rounded place to rest your arm on...

I can just about pluck the strings at the sound hole and reach the tuning machines 'JUST' :)

The reason I bought it was partly because I saw a concert on TV by the Pixies that was done on a stage on a beach somewhere in the USA and everyone was playing acoustic including bass. I couldnt afford the bass they had (A Thunder Chief I believe) and also its just nice to be able to just pick it up to practice without lugging a huge amp around with me - just like my Kala uke really :)

hey thanks for the info on the OLP Musicman... thing... damn everytime i go into guitar center they stare me down from their perch, and then i get one and plug it into an Ampeg SVT.... *cries to myself* to me those two things together are like the holy grail of bass playing.

and on the acoustic note, i had an acoustic bass. the thing was kindof a headache the entire time i owned it. Granted i bought it for like 100 bucks of ebay i think it was a "Hondo" bass, in short the neck warped, the strings went dead, and the bridge started pulling the top of the guitar close to the neck. the only thing i really liked was that the damn thing was beefy... you show up with that and people know you mean business. kindof like what im playing now a Epiphone Thunderbird IV...

Top Bottom