UNBOXING: Koa Pili Koko Tenor

villafranca

Reaction score
My KPK arrived today, and I wanted to share with you guys a quick photo essay of the unboxing of my new uke. It illustrates what a great job the eBay seller, localz.kine, did with packing the uke, plus some detailed pics of the uke itself. I was admittedly worried sick that it'd arrive cracked, since KPK's are known to crack.

Initial impressions:
- The figuring of the acacia wood on this is GORGEOUS!
- The nitrocellulose finish is really nice. It's somewhere between a matte and gloss finish.
- The fretboard feels nice and wide, compared to the concert-sized uke I have. This is really great for a guitar player like me.
- Not sure I'm loving the rosewood nut and saddle. The tone sounds a bit muffled. I may tinker, starting with swapping out the saddle with a bone one.
- The depth of this uke is shallower than Kala and Lanikai tenors I've tried at Sam Ash. I actually prefer this, as it's more comfortable to play than those ones with a deeper depth. This probably sacrifices the loudness, but I'm OK with that.
- Since I just got it today, I'll do a more in-depth review after the uke gets some time to open up a bit.

And without further ado, here's the super-long photo, with some brief commentary:

unboxing.jpg

Bottom line, localz.kine is an excellent seller.
(DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation whatsoever with that seller. This is merely a public service announcement, of sorts.)

Hope this was helpful!
- Sean V

Last edited:
I have one of these uke. Really great uke and service by localz.kine is really good. This is the best cheap solid uke I ever played. The tenor model is the best.
Congrats and enjoy your new uke!

That's a beautiful ukulele, with wonderful grain! Congratulations!

By the way, how did you avoid the four-photo limit per post by putting 13 photos in one post?

Aloha Sean,
Congrats on the KPK, I bought a concert and a tenor from Localz.kine. Awesome seller.
Contact Jason(localz kine), tell him about the nut and saddle and he'll send you some. He sent me the new tuners to put on my earlier KPK tenor. He is a truly nice guy.
Btw, the tenor IS loud with Aquilas(came with them on).
Have fun,.....................................BO............................

By the way, how did you avoid the four-photo limit per post by putting 13 photos in one post?

It's all an illusion: I pieced together all 13 photos into one large photo, using Photoshop. So technically, it's one photo. :)

Yeah I really like that

Sweet! Looks beautiful - enjoy. Thanks for sharing some great pics.

Aloha Sean!
Congratulations on your New Uke Day! She's a real beauty. Mahalos for the great review. Perhaps a video review or sound sample once she opens up is in order? Enjoy your new ukulele and keep on strumming!

Mason671

beautiful! and great review as well. congratulations!

Top Bottom