Luis Feu de Mesquita Ukefferri

Nuprin

Reaction score
I was planning on waiting until this uke got closer to completion (end of November/beginning of December) before starting this thread, but Luis sent me some pictures of the woodsets recently and I couldn't resist!

For those who don't know, Luis is a luthier based out of Ontario, Canada. He builds his ukuleles in the Maccaferri design (notably used by Django Reinhardt). I really like this design as it strays from the typical ukulele design so I thought it would fit well with my current lineup. I was originally looking at Kepasa's Gypsy Rose but liked Luis's design a little more. Luis doesn't have a huge presence on this board but for the few who have one of his ukes, they can't sing its praises high enough.

I encourage any of you to check out his site here.

After choosing the top, back & side wood, Luis sent me a contract outling the uke. Mine will have a Western red cedar top with East Indian rosewood back and sides. The fretboard and bridge will be ebony with a bone nut and saddle. For those who know of my penchant for the look of maple, Luis is using maple bindings (which I didn't ask for, he just decided it would work well...coincidental as all of my customs have maple bindings!). Luis uses a carbon reinforced neck (although I don't yet know what material the neck will be made out of) and modified Grover tuners for the slotted headstock. Nut will be 1.54", fretboard width at the 12th fret will be 1.81", saddle length will be 4.72". String spacing (G-A) at the nut will be 1.22" and string spacing at the bridge will be 1.73" (measurements are standard on all his ukes).

Anyway, on to the pictures. He cut out the rough shape of the top and back and hasn't glued the bookmatched pieces together. He says he cuts them out and lets them hang for a couple of months before the build so that they can acclimate to the humidity in his workshop.

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

Very nice Chris. Looking forward to the next update.

WTG Chris. You always end up with the best combinations in your customs.

Wow, nice piece o' cedar! Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Hey Chris!!! It's nice to see the pics of your future Luis Feu uke!!! It's true what Luis is saying, he uses to cut the pieces and hang them in his shop. When I saty at his place, I saw the pieces of his future guitar hanging there before he starts to bend and glue them... Luis is a very methodic and meticulous guy!!!!

The cedar top piece is damn nice!!! I'm sure you won't regret your choice of going with this tonewood for the top....specially in the cedar top-rosewood combo, it's the bomb!!!

I have to go get the strings for Luis...these will be the ones on your custom!!!! I can say I contribute on the making of your custom!!!! heheheheheheh!!!!!!! It's the same combo I'm using on mine...

Anyway, congrats man!

By the way, RichM....also has a Luis Feu uke and I'm sure he like his a lot!

Small update. The wood has finished acclimating to the humidity in his workshop so he's started. He said the progress pictures will come more often now that the build is underway.

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Looks like another winner. Your MP videos and thread helped seal the deal for my MP custom purchase. Must avoid this thread and resist temptation of getting an LFdM.

Looking forward to this one! Sides are bent and kerfing is in. Bracing on the back is done. Can't wait to see the lattice bracing when he finishes it!

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0641-1.jpg

New updates including the lattice bracing Luis uses on his tops...

13.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool looking ukulele !

That is certainly a different pattern of bracing on the top !

Another very quick update from Luis today.

Chris,
The top is shaved and tuned for optimum response.
Soon it will mate with the sides, at which point the final tuning will be done.
Enjoy,
Luis

IMG_0034-1.jpg

Aloha Chris,
Mahalo for sharing...wow ..love the long multi stridations of the indian rosewood...and the bracing...intresting how he makes the neck block following the cutout...Hope the big sound hole
gives it much volume..also the tight straight grain and matching tone stridations on the top...gives us an insight fo this particular builder's methodical and meticious hand work..Awesome..
Keep us informed and updated..very much intrested...of course waiting to hear about sound preformance and playability from you...

Top Bottom