Luthier classes in the Bay Area?

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been lurking around this section of the forums and have become really interested in the building aspect of the ukulele. Does anyone know of any courses/classes that are located in the Bay Area (the closer to San Jose the better) California? I've been searching the internet for the last 1/2 hour without any luck except for Da Silva who is closing shop. Can anyone help me?

Rick does classes at "The Crucible" in Berkeley. He is a member here and I had the pleasure to hang out with him one night at the Santa Cruz Ukulele Club and what a cool guy. He handed me his uke to play and politely excused himself to talk to some friends across the room.....and left me in charge of his personal Compass Rose ukulele! I love uke people!

Thanks, guys. I'm just about to finish up the second of two weekends at the Crucible with my course, "Build a Uke or Mandolin in Four Days". The next round will be in October. www.thecrucible.org

For you ukemaniacs, we build a soprano "pineapple" in the course. Cedar top, mahogany back, sides, and neck, rosewood or purpleheart fingerboard, much fun and a just wonderful sounding instrument guaranteed! And I don't think you can beat the end result for the bucks you put in.

I love teaching this course!

And I just have to say, I taught this last year at the Cairns Ukulele Festival in Northern Queensland, Australia with UU forum participant Allen McFarlen as a co-teacher, and for you Aussies, you could not possibly go wrong taking this class with Allen. He's a fantastic craftsman and incredibly apt and patient instructor...and a ball to hang out with.

And I'll tell you, going through customs with a suitcase full of ukulele and/or mandolin parts to teach this course is a great reminder that there are at least some good people in government service. The Aussies are incredible!

And don't get me going on the politics... They're ahead of us. 'nuff said...

Fae did the class with us last year and lives in Cairns. I get to play her uke from the class every now and then. They break in very nicely in a month, and after a year they are fantastic.

Rick is just so knowledgeable about building that you're mad not to take the opportunity to get in on one of his class's. A very gifted instructor that has a way of keeping the class's attention with demo's and stories.

Thanks, Allen.

Looks like we already have some sign-ups for October, and I'll have kits for both soprano and tenor ukes.

I have to say, I've never heard a bad instrument come out of these classes. I push the students pretty hard on the first weekend, and I'm always pleased...and a bit amazed by the results.

Dang...if it was even Ventura, I would drive the 2 hrs from Orange County to take the class, especially knowing you have tenor ukes!!

Thanks, Allen.

Looks like we already have some sign-ups for October, and I'll have kits for both soprano and tenor ukes.

I have to say, I've never heard a bad instrument come out of these classes. I push the students pretty hard on the first weekend, and I'm always pleased...and a bit amazed by the results.

I signed up yesterday. I can't wait!!!!!! I was saving my pennies to buy another uke I had my eye on, but this seems so much better.

There are now five more ukes in the world (and three mandolins), three four string sopranos, and two fives. One of them has a double course G or A (I like these up in D tuning myself), and one is a five course. I hope to have photos soon; I forgot my camera.

Thanks for letting me stop by this afternoon. It was a pleasure meeting you and seeing/feeling the excitement in your class as the participants were stringing up their ukes and doing the set up. Thank you for also letting me play your Compass Rose. It was much, much nicer to play than my newly acquired Kamaka (which was a little tough to take) :) I'll see you again in October! Thanks for a great afternoon,

-Gary

Thanks for letting me stop by this afternoon. It was a pleasure meeting you and seeing/feeling the excitement in your class as the participants were stringing up their ukes and doing the set up. Thank you for also letting me play your Compass Rose. It was much, much nicer to play than my newly acquired Kamaka (which was a little tough to take) :) I'll see you again in October! Thanks for a great afternoon,

-Gary

Jealous!! Did you get to play the one connected at the 14th fret or 12th fret?

Jealous!! Did you get to play the one connected at the 14th fret or 12th fret?

I got to play the one connected at the 12th fret. It's the one he's holding during his interview with Aldrine at NAMM 2011 on YouTube. It's sweet!!

Just signed up, I'm really looking forward to it. It will be a tough decision whether to go with the soprano or the tenor.

I had a really interesting conversation with a guy at Mike DaSilva's open house on Saturday, sorry I didn't get his name. He had taken a build-your-own class from Mike, so I told him my plans about taking the course at the Crucible. He had never heard of the Crucible, but he said he knew a master luthier local to the East Bay who gives classes, and is a great instructor. His name: Rick Turner!

Rick, What type of woods do you use for your tenor kits used in the class at the crucible?

Greg

Here's Rick's quote from the first page: "For you ukemaniacs, we build a soprano "pineapple" in the course. Cedar top, mahogany back, sides, and neck, rosewood or purpleheart fingerboard, much fun and a just wonderful sounding instrument guaranteed! And I don't think you can beat the end result for the bucks you put in."

Hello UU! My first post.

I built a pineapple in the class that just finished up last week. I can't recommend the class highly enough! You couldn't ask for a better instructor than Rick. And at least to my beginner's ears, everyone's finished instrument sounded amazing.

I also searched forever for luthier classes in the Bay Area, and didn't find anything that came close to Rick's class. The Crucible itself is also an amazing place, worth checking out itself.

Amazing experience! Now I just have to decide what type of finish to use...and convince myself that I have sanded enough...

IMG_6078.jpg

Welcome ukeyak, it looks great! I really like the way you shaped the peg board. I think you were working on the nut when I saw it last (I'm the big guy that stopped by on Sunday). I'm really looking forward to the class. Is there any advice you can give, or suggestions for something you wish you knew before taking the class? For instance, how did you know to have a lable prepared?

-Gary

Top Bottom