Tone of Monkeypod Wood?

hungry4adobo

Reaction score
Hi guys i was just wondering can someone describe to me what the tone of Monkeypod or Ohai sounds like?

Here's Matt aka Jumpingflea

They used to have some sound samples on Hawaiian Music Supply of the Lanikai solid monkeypod. I remember the improvement in sound when he switched to one with Ko'olau Alohi's.

I played a monkey pod guitar. It was right between koa and mahogany. It had a very mellow, balanced sound.

I don't think you can over rate how beautiful a tone this wood can produce. An instrument's design is the most important, but in the right hands, Monkeypod is spectacular.

Between Mahogany & Koa is a good enough explanation of tone, but it doesn't go into how broad a range it can produce; the smoothness, fullness, clarity and transparency of tone. It's native to our neighborhood in Central America, but as it is a beautiful ornamental tree, it is now found all over the tropics.

We've built a number of great sounding ukuleles with it, and it will be the wood we use for our Hardptop 4-string Classical Guitars. An Asian builder named Jeffrey Yong has won some prestigious international guitar competitions using it. If you want to wade through a rather lengthy review, here's an example of his work and how good it sounds in an acoustic guitar setting:

Last edited:
Thanks for asking this question ... I've been eyeing the Lanikai monkeypod cutaway w/ pickup.

I own a Lanikai monkeypod and i'm loving the sound of it. I haven't been playing for very long so i don't think i would give a very good review on it. I generally like the sound over the other ukuleles i played at the music store i went to. The only downside would be that it's not as loud as most of the other tenor ukuleles i tried.

Top Bottom