OUR TOWN - Iris Dement cover

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
I have been meaning to record this song for a long while. I love it.

I recorded the vocals and picking part and then over-dubbed the second uke part.

As always, fantastic playing...but what a magnificent choice of a tune! I think the first time I saw Iris do this was 1992- it was the first song in her set and when she walked on the stage and that voice came out...well, I figure it still gives me chills just thinking about it.

As always, fantastic playing...but what a magnificent choice of a tune! I think the first time I saw Iris do this was 1992- it was the first song in her set and when she walked on the stage and that voice came out...well, I figure it still gives me chills just thinking about it.

It is strange isn't it? She doesn't even sing it in the best key for her voice, but it still comes out magical.

How about this song from the end of True Grit? Again, it is amazingly expressive.

Indeed- such a great song. She has such an unusual and almost strained vocal style, but it is magic- straight from the heaven's I figure. Could listen to her all day and working on a couple myself right now. 50 Miles of Elbow Room and Sweet is the Melody are totally on the slate for practice tonight.
I think I have probably seen her fifteen times over the last 20 years, and the really amazing thing to me is I think what it is she has gets even better over time...this one particularly killed me last time I saw her

Sorry to jack your thread and your beautiful tune Ken, but it is so great to see someone doing her stuff on the ukulele.

It is a beautiful song. I don't listen to much music, but I do like hers.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread, that's what they are for. I once but a song on another forum and the thread ended with a very lengthy debate on Viking helmets.

Beautiful rendition Ken as I said on your YT page.

Anyone else remember this being the closing song for the last episode of 'Northern Exposure'?
Bought a tear to my eye then, of course I'm too tough and macho for it not to move me now (he lies!)

Chris

Last edited:
Yeah Chris, Northern Exposure was one of the best and this was one of the first tunes I learnt on guitar. This is another great performance Ken, thanks mate. :)

I love Iris, why has she recorded so few albums? Kate Rusby ( English folkie ) did a good version of this song, but she cut out the verse apertaining to deceased parents.

I love Iris, why has she recorded so few albums? Kate Rusby ( English folkie ) did a good version of this song, but she cut out the verse apertaining to deceased parents.

I have often wondered why she has recorded so little. Everyone in the business seems to respect her. Perhaps she doesn't have a big public following?

I"ve loved this song for years and years....thanks!

Top Bottom